PVR-9150T Humax

Desdemona

My humax which I've had for four years has just stopped worked, completely dead. Have replaced the fuse in the plug, tried to plug in and into three different plugs and nothing. Is there anything I can do?

I have no knowledge of this unit in particular, but the same applies to any mains-powered electrical apparatus:

1. Confirm the mains socket is working by plugging in something else, such as a table lamp;​
2. Confirm the fuse is working by substituting the one from the table lamp.​
Ideally the unit in question is easy to confirm as not working, by the lack of a pilot light or something.

Sometimes there is also an internal fuse. Whether this has an internal fuse, I don't know.

Ideally the unit in question is easy to confirm as not working, by the lack of a pilot light or something.
Yes. There are LEDs for standby/tv/radio/rec/timer on the front panel.

There is a really obvious question, which sounds really stupid to ask. There is an on/off switch on the back of the unit - it hasn't been switched off by accident has it?

No lights come on and haven't, completely dead and have tried the back on/off switch several times, was on when it when dead.

Unfortunately can't tell if there is an internal fuse. Mine is stood underneath a 2000T which is currently in use - so I don't want to move it.
Does sound like an internal fuse or power supply unit failure. However, after a quick look around the net I can only find one online picture of the circuit board http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/humax9300.htm (possibly a 9300T). I can't see an obvious fuse there.

Unfortunately can't tell if there is an internal fuse.
There will be one. It'll probably be a PCB mounted one in vertical cylinder looking like an electrolytic capacitor with printing on the top end and close to the mains inlet.

But I doubt that's the problem. It's more likely to be a leaky/dried out/split electrolytic capacitor - look for any with a bulging top.

The other classic SMPSU failure is they're fine until you switch them off, then they don't restart. This is a fault in the startup circuit, where either the cap gets cooked and goes low value or a resistor likewise and goes high. If there's no skid marks or bulging caps that's the place to look.

Last edited:
Back