PVR-9200T hard drive problem

madawani

I have a PVR-9200T which I bought 6 months ago on e-Bay. It worked perfectly until about a month ago when the hard drive started playing up. I got in touch with technical support at Humax who recommended a format. So I did that and it all worked fine for the rest of the day, but the next day I had no access to drive functions and it's been like that ever since.
I got back to Humax technical support who said "it would be an issue with the hard drive that would require a repair at a cost of £95.00".
So today I got all brave, took the casing off my PVR and, lo and behold, it's just like looking inside a PC except not so busy! I've removed the drive from the PVR, put it back together again, plugged it in and it works exactly as it did before - everything works except the drive functions.
Since then, I've been looking on the www for help and have come across hummy.tv, which I have found very useful. But I still don't know which way to jump: do I give up with my old drive, get a new one off eBay (yes they are there, or so the sellers say) or is there some way I can reformat it on my PC so that it will talk to my Humax again.
All contributions gratefully received. Thanks for taking the time to read this. :0)

But I still don't know which way to jump: do I give up with my old drive, get a new one off eBay (yes they are there, or so the sellers say) or is there some way I can reformat it on my PC so that it will talk to my Humax again.
You could attach the drive to a PC and run Seagate Seatools for DOS (which can be used as a bootable CD) to test the drive. My guess is that it is knackered and needs replacement which, as you have found, is straightforward.

Thanks for that, Martin. I'll take the replacement route via eBay.
Minor query. My old drive is a Seagate 35.2, on eBay they have Seagate 35.3. Does it matter? :0)

Minor query. My old drive is a Seagate 35.2, on eBay they have Seagate 35.3. Does it matter? :0)
The DB35.3 is more modern and is preferable to the 35.2. I have had some good drives from eBay and some dodgy ones. I would test the drive with Seatools for DOS prior to installation to give peace of mind.

Problem solved, Martin.

Got a replacement drive off eBay delivered today, fitted it, plugged in the PVR, powered up, "Format Disc?", OK, format took one second or less and the machine's as good as new. It even remembered the recording schedule!

Thanks for your advice/help/support, Martin. You're a star. Have a virtual drink on me. :0)

Back