Questions before I buy a HDR Fox T2

kingy109

Hi

I'm thinking of an upgrade to my Toppy 5800 but had a few questions I was hoping existing owners might be able to help with.

1. 500 Gb or 1 Tb? Do I really need the extra space?
2. Network ability. When networked can I store recordings on a HD on a Pc and then play them back through the Humax? Or is this not possible/not a good idea?
3. If the above is possible do I need a USB drive for transferring files around or is this not needed?

I ran a few TAPS on the Toppy but ideally want a PVR that works fine out of the box.

Any help or words of encouragement much appreciated!

You are bound to get both 500GB and 1TB recommendations, I personally think that with the flexability of LAN transfer there is no need for the 1TB but as I say you are bound to get the other view point made. As mentioned it is possible to FTP files in and out of the Humax over it's LAN connector. It is possible to use the Humax to stream from and to using DNLA, Although there is a bug (not yet fixed) that limits file size to 4GB when streaming to a Humax. FTP is a much better way for transferring files than USB Hard Disk Drive, So again it's not really needed for transfer. There is also some Custom Firmware available that expand the Humax's capabilities a lot See HERE for details (link to our WiKi also at top of the page)

1. 500 Gb or 1 Tb? Do I really need the extra space?

As Ezra said there will be lots of opinions. For what it's worth, my opinion is that having lots of storage just encourages you to fill it up with stuff you'll never need again.

2. Network ability. When networked can I store recordings on a HD on a Pc and then play them back through the Humax? Or is this not possible/not a good idea?

You can, but unless you are willing to jump through hoops you will find it much easier with the custom software installed.

3. If the above is possible do I need a USB drive for transferring files around or is this not needed?

Without the custom software, a USB drive will be essential for some of the intermediate steps. Black Hole's Trail Guide will give you a good idea of the issues (see NEW READERS START HERE).

I ran a few TAPS on the Toppy but ideally want a PVR that works fine out of the box.

It is a very good PVR out-of-the-box, it does what it sets out to do, but some of us are annoyed with the inconveniences imposed by the DRM restrictions to keep the providers of HiDef content happy - and getting around those restrictions is what the custom software is all about.

Re: Q1 - Hard disk space is like the air we breath - you'll only start noticing it when there isn't enough of it!! If you record SD and keep up with watching what you record then maybe 500GB will be fine. If like me you want to record anything in HD where possible and you don't know when you'll get round to watching it (films in my case) then why not get as much on the box as you can. Besides until the bug limiting streaming to 4GB gets resolved (or you load up the Custom Firmware which helps work around it) it means putting stuff on other storage might make life slightly more complicated (but not arduous) than you'd like? The other option is to get the 500GB version now and plug an external USB drive in the back of whatever size your budget can afford to expand it later? The good thing is that with the option of the Custom Firmware you also have a good set of possible options to make your choice from. Happy Humming! :)

Back