Questions From Newbie..

Umanbean

Another new owner of the HD-FoxT2 . I have this a.m set it up with the custom firmware but have a few questions after reading many of the forum post and still not being clear about what I should be expecting of the Custom firmware.
I have downloaded and installed the web interface and then installed a few packages, notably auto unprotect, virtual disk and ftp.

1.Firstly how do I know if the unprotect is working. I saw somewhere about a "flag" but what does that look like?
2. Virtual drive is installed and appears as a folder. What are the steps to move a file to it? I tried but firstly it asks for file to move and then copy?? I don't understandthe logic . It doesn't seem to work for me but if someone could explain... maybe that would help.
3. Tiny ftp doesnt install properly (at least its not shown under settings-internet. ) I tried to uninstall from the web interface and it just hangs so now I'm stuck .. what should I do?I tried to upgrade to the latest version which appeared this pm and its still wont uninstall.Help!
4. Having read much about coping files to PC after auto-unprotect and move to virtual disk I tried to download a ts file to my PC visa the web-interface. It downloaded OK but its not recognised as a media file and wont play. Suggests that unprotect isnt working either(see 1 above?)
5. I have NAS connected and Humax recogises this and will play some files from it OK. However I thought I had read that this NAS can be used as a place to copy the auto-converted files to? If so how do I make it show up when I press the media button I only see USB drive. I dont see how Its possible to copy a file elsewhere, maybe someone can help me with this.

I must say this custom firmware has fantastic potential and great work has been put into making things work as they do. I hope someone can help out a newbie to get it working even better.

Thanks for the reply. So to clarify I cannot in any way other than installing HDRMode utility extract files and play them on a PC? and if this is the case I have no use in Packages such as virtual -disk and auto-unprotect ? is this correct?

I don't want to run packages if they serve no value. BTW the Tinyftp problem persists. It is now not listed as an installed package and neither is it listed as an option to install. Its just gone.! But then If I can't use the ts files on a PC theres no value in the ftp client either I suppose.

Thanks for the reply. So to clarify I cannot in any way other than installing HDRMode utility extract files and play them on a PC?

Correct.

and if this is the case I have no use in Packages such as virtual -disk and auto-unprotect ? is this correct?

You probably still want both of those. auto-unprotect is necessary to remove the keep-encrypted flag from high definition recordings; without it even HDRMode won't help you decrypt them. Virtual-disk gives you somewhere to copy the files to once you're in HDRMode - it stops you having to have two disks connected at once.

BTW the Tinyftp problem persists. It is now not listed as an installed package and neither is it listed as an option to install. Its just gone.!

tinyftp has just been replaced by betaftpd which is far better. I'll post some more details about that in a new thread shortly.
Does tinyftp show up in the package management screen in the web interface under the installed tab? If so, what happens when you try and remove it?

Thanks af123

In answer to your question, the answer is no it doesnt show up in package management in the web interface at all.

Thanks af123

In answer to your question, the answer is no it doesnt show up in package management in the web interface at all.
In which case, try installing the new betaftpd package, after which you should be able to use FTP with your Humax (it will still be useful to transfer recordings once they have been decrypted).

You log in with humaxftp as the username and your PIN as the password (that will be 0000 if you haven't changed it) - that drops you into the media area of the filesystem. If you wish to access the entire filesystem, then log in as root instead (still the PIN as the password).

Back