Quick question before buying a HDR-Fox T2

typod

Hi,

I am really close to pushing the button on a Humax HDR-Fox T2, it really does look like a cracking little box.

I currently have a Windows 7 PC running media centre and its fine for me but the wife is starting to get annoyed with the issues of having a Windows PC attached to the TV. Problems like the losing the picture after the PC goes into sleep really gets her worked up. It's quite a nice setup with dual SSD and a cracking Moneual 320 case, but it's just getting too annoying for the wife and to make my life easy I think I will just swap it out.

Before I do buy it I wanted to ask other owners about its streaming capability, how does it perform? The great thing about the PC is it will play any content I get hold of. I have a WDTV in the bedroom which also plays everything I chuck at it. I am happy to copy the files over to the device if that improves the playback support. But I also have a server with loads of stuff on for the kids so I would like over the network playback as well.

Does the custom firmware improve the supported streaming formats at all?

I have read that a newer version of the firmware than is supported by the CF, is it simple enough to downgrade?

Is it possible to stream content from the Humax to other devices like the WDTV for instance?

Is there room for a second disk? if so will any disk do?

I assume there is no news on 4OD, iTV player etc being made available?

I realise this is quite a lot, but I would appreciate any assistance. I want to be sure it's the right device before I go and buy one.

Thanks

It's an HDR-FOX not an HDR-Fox.
Does the custom firmware improve the supported streaming formats at all?
You can install a second DLNA server in the form of MediaTomb of you want to go beyond the capability of the standard server.

I have read that a newer version of the firmware than is supported by the CF, is it simple enough to downgrade?
Yes, but you would use the custom facilities to disable OTA updates anyway.

Is it possible to stream content from the Humax to other devices like the WDTV for instance?
In general, streaming to "cut down" smart TVs etc is problematic. However, the CF also allows the Humax drive to be accessed as a NAS.

Is there room for a second disk? if so will any disk do?
No. Connect an external one by USB.

I assume there is no news on 4OD, iTV player etc being made available?
No.

I realise this is quite a lot, but I would appreciate any assistance. I want to be sure it's the right device before I go and buy one.
Read Things Every... and the other info linked to below.

Back