Quicker start up??

Andysat

Is there a way to stop the 10 to 20 second start up everytime I turn it on from standby? I lose a lot of programme.

Is there a way to stop the 10 to 20 second start up everytime I turn it on from standby? I lose a lot of programme.

Turn it on 20 seconds earlier :). If you are comparing it to a Sky box, a Sky box is never in sby it's pretty much fully on 24/7. If you tend to turn it on roughly same time each day, set a daily on timer. Settings - General Settings - Power On Time

Turn it on 20 seconds earlier :). If you are comparing it to a Sky box, a Sky box is never in sby it's pretty much fully on 24/7. If you tend to turn it on roughly same time each day, set a daily on timer. Settings - General Settings - Power On Time
I have had many satellite boxes & also freeview boxes, all come on instantly. I point the remote at the box, press on & it is on there & then. This box goes through some stupid start up procedure for about 20 seconds every time, all I want to know is can this unnecessary start up be stopped/ bypassed & the unit comes straight on. If not, it's gone.

I have had many satellite boxes & also freeview boxes, all come on instantly. I point the remote at the box, press on & it is on there & then. This box goes through some stupid start up procedure for about 20 seconds every time, all I want to know is can this unnecessary start up be stopped/ bypassed & the unit comes straight on. If not, it's gone.

It's down to EU power saving regulations. The box has to be capable of waking to make recordings from a sby power consumption of 0.5W or less (about 26 times less than a Sky box uses), That means all it has power for is a real time clock. How fast does your PC boot from a complete shutdown ? Startup time is approx the same as any compliant Freeview box. Frankly it's your post that's stupid or perhaps more accurate is it displays your total ignorance of the regulations regarding modern pvrs. Before you come back with some equally inane comments re stupid EU regulations. Consider the wasted power and increased CO2 in the atmosphere from the millions of power hungry Sky boxes left in so called sby .

Frankly complaining about a 20 second wait to boot kind of says everything about you . You can of course leave it on 24/7, I imagine you couldn't care less about the wasted power nor the constant writing to the hard disk. Next complaint you will have is the hard disk is worn out.

Interested to know what you are going to replace it with as all modern pvrs have to conform to the sby power requirements.

You could of course pay through the nose for a Sky box and subscription.

Part of the cost of paying through the nose :)

I imagine the freeview box referred to was a simple all solid state non recording box. You wouldn't expect a transistor radio to take 20 seconds, but that is not a computer. I imagine spend enough money you could fit a SSD and a much more powerful cpu and lots more memory. No one would buy it as the cost would be eye watering :eek:

The HB1000S also has to cope with all sorts of slow USB attached drives. Checking the recording integrity and loading the media list is bound to be slower than a fast internal sata drive.

A simple question to which it seems the answer should have been explained with the words 'you can't bypass the startup time' would be good enough. Instead I get every twat possible. Some helpful forums?? Oh and by the way my Humax freeview box comes on instantly, as do all my other boxes. The only exception is my Panasonic Blu-Ray recorder that takes longer.

A simple question to which it seems the answer should have been explained with the words 'you can't bypass the startup time' would be good enough. Instead I get every twat possible. Some helpful forums?? Oh and by the way my Humax freeview box comes on instantly, as do all my other boxes. The only exception is my Panasonic Blu-Ray recorder that takes longer.

Which Humax Freeview Box ? The only time they come on instantly is when they have woke up 15 mins before an accurate recording is due or during the actual recording. The freesat boxes are identical. Boot up times for the HDR FOX T2, 1800T and 2000T are similar from full sby. As to your obnoxious reply it just further shows your ignorance as to how these boxes work and have to post such rubbish, you clearly lack the intelligence to recognise why the boxes sometimes appear to boot very quickly.

Oh and by the way my Humax freeview box comes on instantly
No it doesn't. If it's in proper standby (not half-awake already), the first thing you see on the TV screen is the Humax splash screen. It's at least 10 seconds before live broadcast video appears. See Things Every... (click) section 18.

Is what you are actually complaining about that the Freetime box doesn't wake up in readiness to start a recording at the right time, having set up a recording previously? I would be very surprised if that was the case.

I'm trying to find out what the actual problem is. Clearly the OP hasn't explained it properly - why is the start-up time such a problem? Never mind whether there should or should not be one.

If the problem is that the OP suddenly realises he wants to record something and has to wait for the box to boot up before hitting "record" - that's tough titty, he needs to get more organised and schedule the recording like the rest of us.

You wouldn't expect a transistor radio to take 20 seconds, but that is not a computer.
Agreed, but similarly I would also expect my solid state TV to come on instantly, but my Sony takes 6 seconds from standby and 14 seconds from Off. What's that all about?

Agreed, but similarly I would also expect my solid state TV to come on instantly, but my Sony takes 6 seconds from standby and 14 seconds from Off. What's that all about?

Anything that has to decode mpeg compressed content will take a few seconds to deliver audio and video, Did you ever compare analogue TV with Digital. Digital is always behind as there is a processing delay. If the TV is off the video mpeg decoder will require initialising. It's still a computer. By transistor radio I was meaning analogue broadcasting. DAB will always be behind for same reason.

Last edited:
Clearly the OP hasn't explained it properly - why is the start-up time such a problem?
I think he has. It seems to be the 20 seconds startup time that is annoying him. The boot time of my T2 and especially my Foxsat hack me off. If I have the T2 on CEC (or whatever you want to call it) and switch on the power to it, it switches the TV to the T2, the T2 boot screen is displayed, watch that for a while, the T2 goes into s/b, the TV switches back to TV. Bring the T2 out of s/b switches the TV to it, watch the boot screen for a while etc. etc. Seriously offp***ing. But that is a bit more of a problem that the 2 seconds that my Samsung TV takes to come out of standby, and that's even with an external HDD connected.

Back