Quickest way to backup internal HD?

Cancunia

Hi, I've been searching around on the forum but can't seem to find the best / quickest way to copy some recordings off the internal disk without actually removing the disk. I want to make copies so that I can reformat the drive, then re-install custom Firmware as I'm having a number of problems with the system freezing.
I've mounted an external drive via the front USB and am trying cut / paste using the webif but it's taking what seems to be an age. I'm guessing that via wifi will be even slower, is there a better way?

Thanks

Ethernet is the fastest way (without removing the HDD). I have my HDR's connected via Ethernet directly to my router. Using a program called Syncovery to copy recordings from my HDR's to my Qnap NAS box.

All my recordings are decrypted and shrunk as a matter of routine, just in case the box they were recorded on fails. As a 'Brucie Bonus', because they are backed up to my NAS, I used Plex so I can view any recording anywhere on any device I have Plex installed on.

Some folk use Homeplugs as they don't have a direct cable route to run an Ethernet cable from their Humax's and their router.

HTH.

The fastest way isn't necessarily the best in all circumstances. Connect a USB hard drive to the Humax, set it to copy everything (on-screen menus), then go away and let it get on with it for however long it takes (slow USB) without tying up your time or other resources.

I want to make copies so that I can reformat the drive, then re-install custom Firmware as I'm having a number of problems with the system freezing.
Why is reformatting the drive going to stop the freezing?
Why is reinstalling the custom firmware going to stop the freezing?
Why do you need to reformat the drive to reinstall the custom firmware?
Is the filesystem broken?
Is the drive defective?
Are you potentially going to waste loads of time and achieve nothing?
Are you just clutching at straws?

Back