Random channel changes / shutdown / startup / volume change

Engeeaitch

Hi - I have recently picked up a second hand unit to use as a spare. It seems to work fine for some of the time, but then starts to act as if there is a phantom remote control in the room, with channel changes (up and down), shutdowns, startups and volume changes.

Here is what I have done:
- Read the "Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues"
- Removed channels > 800 and duplicate channels
- Removed the network cable
- Unplugged the hard drive (power and data)
- Put a box in front of the front panel (just in case there is a rogue remote control signal)
- Swapped the front panel with my working Humax
- Checked the power supply voltage - which seems similar to my working Humax (6.52V & 12.29V)

I can't think of anything else other than the motherboard - but just wanted to check to see if anyone else had any ideas please? Thanks for any help.

Here is my system information:

Web interface version: 1.3.2-5
Custom firmware version: 3.10 (build 2734)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.10)
Loader Version: a7.30

I think you have pretty much covered the obvious candidates, if the power supply in the working unit is same version, it might be worth swapping that. Other than that you are left with faulty connectors, or the main board components, Oh, can you confirm that unit is not getting too hot?

This will presumably be why it was on the second hand market in the first place. I would have put money on the front panel curing it; did you try the other way around as well - the "rogue" front panel in the working Humax?

The good news is that the motherboard (main board) is probably fine. The symptoms you describe are likely caused by a failing front panel board. I had this fault a couple of years ago. I bought a new board from Humax at the time but I doubt that they will still have stock: there is no harm in asking them. The easiest way to get a replacement is to buy a faulty second hand Humax DTR-T1000. These fail a lot, mainly due to problems on the main board and have the same front panel board as the HDR-FOX.

Edit: link to earlier thread here.
I just noticed that Engeeaitch has already swapped the front panel board with his other unit to no avail. I am wrong then; the fault described is exactly as I experienced when my front panel board malfunctioned, so I am left scratching my head.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Having read the earlier post, I have tried:
- Using a filtered mains supply
- Using a SCART lead instead of the HDMI lead
- Swapping the front panel (again) - the panel from the faulty unit worked fine on the good unit, and the panel from the good unit showed the error on the faulty unit
- Swapping the power supply - the power supply from the faulty unit worked fine on the good unit, and the power supply from the good unit showed the error on the faulty unit

So I think I give up - I can only assume that the problem is with the motherboard unless anyone has any more suggestions.

P.S. Just for completeness - one piece of information I have not included - when I got the unit, the disk had failed - I replaced it with a working disk and have run the diagnostics on the working disk with no errors.

SOLVED!!! - It turned out that it was a (very old) faulty power supply to a router that I was using that was putting interference into the earth.
Even though I tested by disconnecting the network cable from the Hummy, because the other network cable was connected to the TV, the earth was connected back via the HDMI or SCART cable.
I should have tested the unit using the TV that the good Hummy was connected to much earlier. Anyway, a happy ending.

I don't see why it should have been - the OP's problem turned out to be external to the HDR-FOX in question.

I don't see why it should have been - the OP's problem turned out to be external to the HDR-FOX in question.

It doesn't matter. I gave the op my old unit with a broken hdd. As he refered to a broken hdd I assumed this was one and the same... Glad he sorted it either way ;)

Back