Random intermittent signal quality issues

smeadows

I bought my HDR-Fox T2 a couple of months ago and I’ve been having a few issues with the signal recently. I think it may have started after the recent re-tune when some of the Freeview channels moved around but I’m not 100% sure.
My problem is that occasionally the signal on all channels seems to go haywire which results in a blocky almost scrambled and unwatchable picture. When I go into the Signal Detection menu I can see that the Quality of the signal, usually on all channels, is jumping around between 0% and 100% whereas the Strength remains consistent at around 70% (I normally have about 70% strength and 100% quality consistently on all channels). This seems to happen fairly randomly during the day, I can be watching a channel no problem with a perfect picture and then it will suddenly go. The strange this is that I can resolve the problem by simply unplugging the aerial from the back of the unit and plugging it back in again. I’m 99% sure it’s not the aerial itself as I had a new one installed a few months before I bought my T2 and I’ve stripped back the aerial lead itself and replaced the plug on the end of it. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

I had similar issues mainly around the mux that carries BBC having awful reception. I found this forum last night and did the manual retune thing. It looked like my box was using a transmitter that didn't even carry 3 of the muxes!??!!

Retuning has got me IRO 70% signal strength and 100% quality. Even ITVHD was working properly last night!

A satisfied customer then. Local relay transmitters frequently only have three of the multiplexes, but if you are hidden from the main transmitters in a valley or something it's either that or cable/satellite!

A satisfied customer then. Local relay transmitters frequently only have three of the multiplexes, but if you are hidden from the main transmitters in a valley or something it's either that or cable/satellite!

The annoying thing is, the local one is less than a km away, its literally just round the corner. If it had all the muxes it would be perfect.

I performed the factory re-set and have done the manual re-tune again so will see how things go. Just to re-iterate, 99% of the time my signal strength indicator on all channels (I'm currently tuned to the Crystal Palace transmitter which transmits on Ch22, 23, 25, 26, 28 and 30) is around 70% and the quality is 100%. Every so often the quality it will just go nuts jumping around between 0% and 100%. Pulling the aerial lead out and putting it back in (I don't even have to do the standard 'turn it off and turn it back on again' resolution) sorts it out and it goes back to its normal 70%/100%.

I've had exactly the same problem over the last few weeks, almost exclusively on the hd channels but occasionally on the BBC mux. Yesterday it seemed to resolve itself all by itself but I need to keep an eye on it. The box was a replacement fit one that had an unrelated freezing problem. Interestingly I had no such signal problems with the first box so my aerial is probably OK. Now I think about it there were signal problems on the new box from the start about two months ago buy they got steadily worse on HD over the last 3 or 4 weeks. I'm on the Mendip transmitter and I always manually tune my box to avoid picking up channels from ridge hill which is what the auto retune will do if left to is own devices.

I had a similar problem during the first week we had our HDR Fox T2. Eventually realised it was caused by the wife leaving her handbag containing a mobile phone in the hallway, on the other side of the wall where the TV and aerial was. Every time the phone received a text, updated the Facebook app, etc. it caused the signal quality to go crazy and picture to break up.

Just a thought!

I finally figured out what the problem was, I think.. I had my T2 sitting on top of my AV receiver in a cabinet and I think it was getting too hot or may have been getting charged up with static electricity. I've now moved the unit and haven't had the problem for a few weeks now..

Back