Randomly Freezing

mlsred

Hi

My Foxsat HDR has just started to freeze randomly. The TV picture is fine but it stops responding to the remote control or the controls on the front. Nothing works so I can't change channel or bring up any of the menus.

The only way to resolve the issue is to switch it off and back on.

Any ideas?

Is it repairable?

Thanks
Michael

Most likely reason is the time shift buffer file is corrupted. A disk format should fix (export your recordings first). Alternatively install the custom firmware and rename the 0.ts file to say 0.old . This will cause the box to create a new file on a different area of the hard disk. Could be a sign the HDD needs replacing.

The CF also has a non destructive file system check and repair capability.

I bought one of the first Foxsats and it was doing something similar to that. It is disconnected from the signal now, until I have watched everything on its HDD. So far, no problems with playback of recordings. I have no idea what happens to the record buffer 0.ts in such circumstances. Does it get filled with nothing?

Which brings me to the Freetime box. If that wakes every 30 minutes to check for scheduled recordings, will that mean that the HDD is going to fail prematurely?

I bought one of the first Foxsats and it was doing something similar to that. It is disconnected from the signal now, until I have watched everything on its HDD. So far, no problems with playback of recordings. I have no idea what happens to the record buffer 0.ts in such circumstances. Does it get filled with nothing?

Which brings me to the Freetime box. If that wakes every 30 minutes to check for scheduled recordings, will that mean that the HDD is going to fail prematurely?

The freetime box only wakes up periodically if you have the IOS or Android remote scheduling app. And yes I reckon it's bound to have some impact on hard disk life.

The time shift buffer file is a fixed length file that sits in the same place on the hard disk. The live data stream is constantly written to the sectors containing the file so it gets a bit of a pasting so eventually some of the disk sectors fail. When the box gets to a faulty sector it freezes the box.

Thanks. But does the buffer get written when there is no signal and the box is on?

Thanks. But does the buffer get written when there is no signal and the box is on?

I doubt it, which is why your box is not crashing. The simplest way is remove the hard disk and connect it to a PC with EXT2FSD installed. Copy the contents of the Video folder to the PC. Now stick it back in the Foxsat and format it. Remove it and re-connect to the PC and copy the saved recordings back to the now empty Video folder (In SDA3).

I already have all the files on a nas and intend to use a newer hdd from a defunct T2 in it eventually. It will only have one input and will sit in our dining room. I have three feeds to the lounge already, two to a 1000S and the other to my TV. More would mean changing the lnb, and a load of wiring.

I already have all the files on a nas and intend to use a newer hdd from a defunct T2 in it eventually. It will only have one input and will sit in our dining room. I have three feeds to the lounge already, two to a 1000S and the other to my TV. More would mean changing the lnb, and a load of wiring.

Don't forget to use the box with a single cable you will need to connect rf1 out to rf2 in.

Why don't you Format the box hard disk. Pinch the TV lnb feed and connect it to the Foxsat ? Carry out a factory reset (required to recognise single cable mode). This will be considerably more flexible than the single tuner you have in the TV. Two tuners even on a single cable are much more versatile than the single tuner in your TV.

I may consider that.

My TV shows a good eco performance running off its own tuner, though. When I connect an HDMI source, it goes to a much worse setting. (Think Forbidden Planet.) I like to use the TV by itself during the day, and of course it doesn't take forever to start up like the Foxsat.

In the evening, we watch the 1000S as our URC's only favourite list is tied to that.

Most likely reason is the time shift buffer file is corrupted. A disk format should fix (export your recordings first). Alternatively install the custom firmware and rename the 0.ts file to say 0.old . This will cause the box to create a new file on a different area of the hard disk. Could be a sign the HDD needs replacing.

The CF also has a non destructive file system check and repair capability.

Sorry for the slow response and thanks for the suggestions. I'll start with the renaming of the .ts file and see how I get on with that. I was going to export the recordings and reformat but copying them over my network to my PC windows estimated it was going to take something like 17 hours and even using FTP it took an hour to transfer part of a series.

I attached a USB hard drive to it but even then it seems you have to transfer each recording individually rather than being able to transfer complete a folder at a time?

Thanks again.

Michael

Sorry for the slow response and thanks for the suggestions. I'll start with the renaming of the .ts file and see how I get on with that. I was going to export the recordings and reformat but copying them over my network to my PC windows estimated it was going to take something like 17 hours and even using FTP it took an hour to transfer part of a series.

I attached a USB hard drive to it but even then it seems you have to transfer each recording individually rather than being able to transfer complete a folder at a time?

Thanks again.

Michael

You can select all the contents of a folder to copy in one go.

Media OPT+ FileManager. Go right and click on the usb drive icon. Go left and press yellow to enter edit mode. Toggle a tick on the folders you want to copy (using OK). Press green (Move) and at the end choose to retain existing. Alternatively open a folder before entering Edit Mode and select which recordings you want to copy.

Back