Raspberry Pi DLNA Client

Er... that was an April Fool...

Oh bugger I always fall for these! Usually cos I never read them on 1st April and hardly ever know what time of day it is let alone the date! Oh well glad to make it worth the effort of thinking it up by falling for it! :confused:

Been playing around with Raspbmc and wired up an IR Photodiode via the GPIO header (very cheap, 70p! + easy BTW). I have a universal remote that I've set to Microsoft MCE mode, and it works great.

Does anyone know what the code to use on the Humax RM-F04 (MDB 1.3) to get it to emulate the Microsoft remote?

thanks!

So then I tried RaspBMC - slightly trickier setup because it has to have a wired connection on first run to update itself but it did do it without any probs although I couldn't get my wireless dongle working before I ran out of playing time - gotta get back to that at some point. Anyway the trouble with RaspBMC is that it wont support a remote desktop and as far as I can tell neither will OpenELEC so there's no chance for me to do anything else with the PI without dragging it out from behind the telly and connecting input devices (plus of course being 'tied' to a telly to interact with it).

If you just need to tweek it - you can SSH into it (use Putty if on Windows). Default username pi, password raspberry.

Beat me to it on the ssh :)

Really annoyed I didn't backup my working sd card as I cn no longer get a build with CEC working, I'm wondering if it old be my hdmi cable

Could be the cable - CEC was introduced in HDMI 1.2a I believe.
I don't think that's the case. The physical pinout of the HDMI cable has never changed.

The reference to which HDMI standard a cable supports is purely down to the maximum data rate that it's verified to sustain, in terms of the maximum frequency of the electrical signal. In other words, the maximum resolution, frame rate, and audio quality that can be sent down it. CEC isn't affected. The Wikipedia entry is quite informative.

As an aside: never get conned by a salesperson into believing that some high-priced HDMI cable will give a better visual or audio experience compared to an equivalently rated cheaper cable. Provided that the cable is rated for the HDMI standard applicable (and therefore the maximum data rate that you need) then any cable is as good as the next. It's not like old analogue interconnect (e.g. SCART) where there was some element of science in claiming better picture quality from a more expensive cable. Of course, more expensive cables might be mechanically superior and hence less likely to break - which might be sensible if you're burying them in a wall...

I wasn't sure if the older cables were required to have all the pins wired - since some pins might have ben reserved for future use in the orignal spec. I certainly have one HDMI cable that always caused me problems - especially when I have a HDMI switching box in the chain. Anyway - theres no harm trying another HDMI cable if he has one to hand is there?

That's a good point Ravi. CEC has a dedicated pin, so it's possible that the cable would be mechanically damaged and the CEC pin has been dislodged.

However, CEC has always been part of the physical pinout spec of HDMI, so any cable will support it. The only possible unconnected pin on any HDMI cable, regardless of spec, would be pin 14 which seems only to be defined in HDMI 1.4 for "HEC" (seemingly a kind of ethernet protocol).

As an aside: never get conned by a salesperson into believing that some high-priced HDMI cable will give a better visual or audio experience compared to an equivalently rated cheaper cable. Provided that the cable is rated for the HDMI standard applicable (and therefore the maximum data rate that you need) then any cable is as good as the next. It's not like old analogue interconnect (e.g. SCART) where there was some element of science in claiming better picture quality from a more expensive cable. Of course, more expensive cables might be mechanically superior and hence less likely to break - which might be sensible if you're burying them in a wall...

This certainly applies over a few feet, but considering the data rate if you want to shift HDMI over the maximum specified distance (10M IIRC) you will need a very good quality cable indeed.

If you just need to tweek it - you can SSH into it (use Putty if on Windows). Default username pi, password raspberry.

Yeah I had got onto it with Putty but once in I have absolutely no knowledge of what to type in unless I copy and paste it from somewhere so I kind of liked the idea of accessing a GUI from the laptop - after 25 odd years on Apple Macs and Windows I'm just a slave to icons but I have come to the conclusion that learning command line controls is probably going to be a useful skill to equip myself with.

Did you ever use MS-DOS? The Linux command line isn't all that different.

Yeah a little bit but most of the time only to change disks and directories and run games!! I have found some not too scary looking sites with Linux for Beginners I might start to go through. I think at face value it struck me that when OS's had developed into things you could operate with the tip of your finger suddenly if felt like Linux wanted to drag me right back to weekends with C&VG typing loads of lines of BASIC in!! BUT the Pi was all about teaching kids (and their Dads) that you can do more with a computer than get a high score so that's what I'm gonna learn meself!! My utopian daydream is that one day I may actually come up with something that ends up on the Hummy - rather than my current 30 odd year old personal best of
10 PRINT "FART"
20 GOTO 10

:) that's an awesome program :) yes despite our teachers many efforts to get us to do 'Hello World' Fart was always more popular.

I agree on the hdmi cable side of things, for short runs don't be conned, I have 3 cables but they're all jumbled up, I need another so ill grab a sensibly priced hdmi 1.4 compliant one and see, I'm pretty sure its not the cable as others have said it broke in an update to the cec library.

I think I saw a question about why dlna, the last time I read up the overhead of running to windows smb shares caused problems with hd playback, not specifically humax though but the pi's at that time only had 256mb ram (as mine does) and dlna is there and works with no more packages on the humax so that's what I used.

No idea on nfs as like you I skirt around the edges of linux/unix

Regards

Damian

Back