Raspberry Pi DLNA Client

I read that as "in the process of being shrunk" (accounting for possible slips). A file still has to be processed into another file.

Hi all, joined specifically to reply to this thread :)

I've been running my RasPi with various XBMC distros and settled on openelec recently which worked nicely when Raspbmc RC5 gave me problems.

I've just updated the firmware on my HDR FOX T2 for the first time and think I've got the hang of the various interfaces and package manager, but try as I might I cannot get HD .ts files to stream. I've added the auto-unprotect package which is what seems to be generally recommended, I've run the DLNA diagnostic, rebooted the hummy several times, and still no joy.

SD content plays back perfectly, but I can't even see the HD content on the DLNA/UPNP menus.

Any ideas?

(might be worth noting I can't seem to see/play the HD content on anything; RasPi, Win7 laptop with WMP and VLC, Android phone running various players)

This reminds me of another enquiry we had, I don't know that it was ever resolved. HiDef recordings should be listed in the DLNA index and I can think of no reason they would be singled out. In order to play them auto-unprotect needs to have done its work; the media player needs to be compatible with H.264/AAC; and you need enough network bandwidth and processing power.

Auto-unprotect has been on there for a couple of days now with several 'soft' reboots (i.e. power off from front, wait for click, power-on again), and I know most if not all of those players support H.264 and AAC. The fact that they aren't even showing up in the menu makes me think it's not a lack of compatibility, as several pages back on this thread someone posted pictures of their RasPi doing exactly what mine won't. :S

Would it matter that I'm on 1.02.29 (I think) with CF2.13?

No it shouldn't matter. Like I said, I can't think of a reason why they are not being listed when StDef are.

Fixed!

I had to disable sharing on the box itself, reset the DLNA database, re-enable the content sharing and let it rebuild the database. HD now seems to be showing up :)

I believe some individuals are looking into optimising an MPEG decoder for the Pi using Open GL, but I imagine it is a far way out yet. Until something happens to change the status quo (e.g. the foundation getting a license), by all accounts the Pi won't be able to decode MPEG well enough.
The Rasberry PI foundation are selling licenses for VC-1 (£1.20) and MPEG-2 (£2.40) in the store on their website.
These are tied to the Rpi of the boards via their serial numbers.

Fixed!

I had to disable sharing on the box itself, reset the DLNA database, re-enable the content sharing and let it rebuild the database. HD now seems to be showing up :)

Glad you have it fixed, your post reminded me I I had recordings of sd and hd not showing via dlna before I had a pi (ipad + ace player) and had to do this - best way to check is to go to your access your humax via webif, if you browse media it will show a dlna icon (green circle with some dots) beside it if the media has been indexed for dlna playback.

Note if you have auto shrink / dedup enabled you can get a false positive as sometimes they won't play - I guess the video file being altered gets a new name on the filesystem and has to be re-indexed.

Regards

Damian

When you said earlier that you had run the DLNA diagnostic I assumed you had been through these steps as it guides you through doing just that.

Code:
To reset the DLNA Database, disable Content Sharing in the Humax menus at
and click the button again.

Glad you've got it sorted : )

When you said earlier that you had run the DLNA diagnostic I assumed you had been through these steps as it guides you through doing just that.

Code:
To reset the DLNA Database, disable Content Sharing in the Humax menus at
and click the button again.

Glad you've got it sorted : )
Yeah, that would be me thinking I was more clever than I actually am. I'd read somewhere else that to force auto-unprotect to do its stuff again that I should enter 'auto-unprotect' in the diagnostic box, so when someone said to run DNLA whatever-it-was, I tried entering it in that box. I obviously missed the big button marked DNLA...

Oops :)

I'm running the latest version of raspbmc (and have purchased the MPEG2 licence).

I've viewed both SD & HD files from my Hummy on my Raspberry Pi.

SD works fine but I get some screen corruption when watching HD. Has anyone else experienced these problems watching HD?

My connection between the Raspberry Pi and the Hummy is 100Mbps

I'm running the latest version of raspbmc (and have purchased the MPEG2 licence).

I've viewed both SD & HD files from my Hummy on my Raspberry Pi.

SD works fine but I get some screen corruption when watching HD. Has anyone else experienced these problems watching HD?

My connection between the Raspberry Pi and the Hummy is 100Mbps

How are you accessing the files ? Remember you need unprotect and the built in hdr fox t2 dlna media server to 'stream' anything hd as its encyrpted

If you need to use samba or media tomb then the files must be decrypted first.

Test by copying a file to usb stick off the humax and trying that on your pi, that will prove if the recording is ok etc.

Regards

Damian

I've been happily using raspbmc rc4 for a while as it works fine, but just a tad laggy. Occasionally I keep trying whatever new version is out, none of them so far seem to play my .ts files correctly (so I thought anyway - I think that was while I was having dlna issues - resetting the database made my library appear to be indexed better now, haven't tried other installs again since.)

I've just tried the latest fresh install of raspbmc and when looking for media on the network, it sees the recordings as uPnP, but doesn't see the contents of my USB drive on the hummy. For some reason searching as SMB won't even see the Fox.

My RC4 install sees them fine so that's not really an issue, but if I'm trying to stream to my Android tablet (Using skifta) it only sees the recordings too, but not the movies drive.. It would be great if my HDR-Fox T2 could be my media server for my tablet too - are there any other settings or apps that would enable the USB drive to share better?

Ah, perfect, thanks, I'll try that. Not sure Why the new version of raspbmc doesn't see the hummy as a windows network device when the old version does, but if it sees all the movies etc on the usb via dnla then hopefully it will behave the same

I believe the mvdisks package allows you to mount the external drive(s) as if they were folders in My Video. This means the Humax will treat it as an extension of its own drive, with all the consequences thereof - including potentially upsetting the space remaining calculation. The DLNA server will not make non-TS files streamable.

OK thats not the answer then. It did make my whole usb drive appear among the recordings when browsing on the hummy (didn't get as far as testing the sharing) but also made the Box crash a lot. Removed it already!

Back