Raspberry Pi DLNA Client

Oh, by the way, have you managed to set up a Smart Playlist to get to your hummy files easily? That's what I've been recommended to look into now, next on my Pi to do list!

I haven't had the chance to play much due to home + work commitments.

What you see above is what we use, family have used xbmc for a long time on xbox 1 so the pi running it fits really well.

I'm now asked why they need a different remote for all the other devices we have including the humax !

In fact they prefer to play content back from the humax on the pi as its quicker to navigate than the media menus on the humax, the cfw really makes the humax unique in my opinion.

But even without cfw streaming sd via dlna is a really great feature, I'd guess the box would sell like hot cakes if finding compatible players for tablets wasn't such a case of trial and error, for ios (ipad, ipod, iphone) aceplayer works great but due to apple it will do SD only as the cpu in most of them isn't up to doing the hd via software decode.

Let me know how you get on with smart playlists

Regards

Damian

Her's what I found - smart playlists won't bring up any content, as it has to be previously scanned content, like movies on a hdd for example.
Instead, find the folder in Videos>files, open the context menu (C on a keyboard - I've mapped it to one of the coloured buttons on my remote) and choose 'Add to favourites'.
Then you can bring up the hummy contents by showing the favourites menu (There's a little buttin next to shutdown- I've actually mapped another remote coloured-button to show the favourites window).
Let me know if you need help customising a remote - v. simple - put a premade remote.xml file onto the sd (like this one), in XBMC go to file manager, and copy the remote.xml into the 'Profile' directory. On next reboot it will use the new commands!

What's really cool on my main lounge TV, is it uses Anynet+ (Or CEC as it's known) so the TV remote works the Pi too! So just the two remotes for me, the Hummy and the TV, as usual!

There I was thinking that maybe using a Pi with the T2 was a new idea and here it all is already! I can only say thanks to Damian and of course the heavy lifters who gave us all the CFW.

In case it's of interest to anybody, both my Pi and T2 are using USB wi-fi dongles. The Pi threads are a little confusing, but the current version of Raspbmc (RC4) does support wi-fi without patching, as long as you use the right kind of dongle.

The most current Pi Wi Fi thread is on stmlabs forum, thread id 1620 (I can't post links yet); you need to go to Programs and Add > Network manager (scroll down list to find this) to get the configuration tool you need as well.

It is a bit of an aerial fest around the TV at the moment so I might explore using an ethernet crossover cable to connect the the two.

Everything works well so far though I was a little surprised to see subtitles on the T2 content that I have not figured out how to turn off. I know there are whole threads about stripping things out of .ts files; do I need to do that to loose the subtitles?

Chris

I made sure this line was in the remote.xml file:
<blue>ShowSubtitles</blue>
so the blue button toggles them on and off

Ah, just remembered the default setting - while playing a video file bring up the lower bar with the time, play controls etc, and move over to the sound options. In there turn off subtitles, then go down and select 'make this the default for video files. It was hard to find, as it was hidden in the audio options!

Ah on my tv remote the subtitle button for freeview works in xbmc on the pi to switch them on / off - really neat!

Glad people have found the guide useful, apologies for it being a bit rough but it gets the job done.

Totally agree with the big +++ for all the people working the cfw on here, makes the humax more than the sum of its parts

Regards

Damian

Thought I'd post my recent advances here too, as it's the most relevant thread!
I had problems playing Hummy recordings from the Pi, until I found out that I hadn't unencrypted the recordings! nothing more to install (Don't need to install the app 'unencrypt', dont' need to install MediaTomb) Just browse your recordings and click Opt on the folders, and enable Unencrypt on each one. Don't forget to also go up one from your main directory so you can enable it on that to. Not sure the time frame for tr hummy to busy itself doing the conversion, but once a file has a bright green 'Dec' next to it, it's been decrypted and plays fine over the network.
I also attached my USB drive full of videos to the Hummy (Originally it was going to be attached to one of the Pis and shared). The Hummy runs SMB (aka 'Samba') which I tried installing on the Pi but it kept crashing. On the hummy it's perfectly stable, so the Hummy now acts as the media server for all my media, and on the Pi you 'Add Videos'>'SMB (Windows)' Network> And find your files there through the Hummy.

The Pi has a really nice interface in Raspmc the only gripe I have is fast-forward and rewind are useless, so instead I've remapped the remote so instead of fast-scanning through the video, the FF buttons skip 20 seconds. I find it works pretty good now.
I won't go into great lengths, but if anyone would like some Pi advice I'll try and help, but take a look at http://forum.stmlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

My tweaks have been to remote.xml, (to remap remote buttons to do what I want) advancedsettings.xml (To change how far FF skips) and little overclock tweaks to config.txt (Though I havent noticed any difference! - just saw them online and thought it wouldn't hurt to add a few lines of code!) These changes can be made using SSH connection, (Using 'PuTTy') I'll try and advise on the syntax (with my limited knowledge) if anyone needs!

Raspbmc RC5 has been released:
http://www.raspbmc.com/2012/10/raspbmc-release-candidate-5-released/

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but apparently one of the new features is to configure all the overclocking, overscan stuff from the Raspbmc Settings plugin in the GUI rather than having to edit config.txt (in fact I think they're now saying DON'T edit this file manually). There's been a few rumors of problems with the composite output, not sure if these have been sorted yet.

I still haven't tried it yet, and by the looks of things there are lots of problems of there! Bit of a mess. Proceed with caution...

Is it time to split the Raspberry Pi thread out to its own forum, or maybe its own Wiki page (haven't looked to see if there is one already :rolleyes: )? Sounds like there is good information that could be stored in a useful manner for reference.

I'm having a mare! I had one Pi working (luckily I made a disk image of it all working!) then it auto-updated to 'RC5' and no .ts files play. The hours you can lose fiddling with trying to set this stuff up is unbelievable. It seems RC5 is generally more stable for most uses, but apparently not for ts files. It may be that something has changed in my hummy box though, as, I restored the working disk image of the SD card, with all shortcuts, media libraries etc set up. But now only HD files will play. Like the license isn't accepted for some reason. (The SD recordings are what need the MPG-2 license)

Auto-Updates are well and truly switched off now! It's the must-have mentailty that when my phone or tablet has a new update on the way I feel I must have it, even go to the lengths of getting a diy some devs have cooked up, that crashes and is unstable. Why do I bother when something works, I should leave it be!

I just switched off the Hummy and back on, and things are behaving better. Perhaps files haven't been rescanned since auto-dedup has changed their names or something. I have just noticed that one folder that has had auto-dedup enabled for about a week still has plenty of encrypted files. Any idea what rate is goes through and decrypts them??

Also, it might just be getting full, but I do feel like there is less space than their should be, like some removed recordings are still taking up space? Also, the Pi lists a few recordings as 0kb, that don't show in the humax web backend. Is there a way of seeing a true file-view of the Humax contents?

Auto-Updates are well and truly switched off now! It's the must-have mentailty that when my phone or tablet has a new update on the way I feel I must have it, even go to the lengths of getting a diy some devs have cooked up, that crashes and is unstable. Why do I bother when something works, I should leave it be!

I just switched off the Hummy and back on, and things are behaving better. Perhaps files haven't been rescanned since auto-dedup has changed their names or something. I have just noticed that one folder that has had auto-dedup enabled for about a week still has plenty of encrypted files. Any idea what rate is goes through and decrypts them??

Also, it might just be getting full, but I do feel like there is less space than their should be, like some removed recordings are still taking up space? Also, the Pi lists a few recordings as 0kb, that don't show in the humax web backend. Is there a way of seeing a true file-view of the Humax contents?

If deleted files are still taking up space, do you have undelete installed?

Auto-dedup? Do you mean auto-decrypt? If you do mean auto-decrypt that doesn't rename things.

I meant auto-dedup, removing duplicates and renaming according to episode info.

I installed betaFTPd, but it won't connect. says 'Need account for login' Where do I set it up? Trying to start it in the services says an ftp server is already running

Back