Raspberry Pi DLNA Client

GREAT NEWS!!

License keys arrived, put sd card in pc and added them to config.txt and booted raspbmc, pi with hardware mpeg2 now plays everything off my humax!

No decrypt or demuxing just raspbmc rc4 and the mpeg license (I also purchased and installed vc1)

Sd recordings work, I can select audio and subtitles
Hd recordings work 1080p and I

Oh and cec (tv remote) control now works perfect ! Awesome pi is powered from the usb on the tv

Only thing not working is fast forward but to be fair that doesn't work on ipad streaming via dlna with xbmc so think that's an xbmc thing.

Just been offered another pi, gonna grab it !

Was Hoping we eventually get an auto demux so tv's built in player will do it but to be honest xbmc is so much better ill use the pi

Regards

Damian

Excellent indeed.

No decrypt

Presumably you have auto-unprotect running though.

Awesome pi is powered from the usb on the tv

Really? I thought the RPi is far too high current for a 500mA port.

Only thing not working is fast forward but to be fair that doesn't work on ipad streaming via dlna with xbmc so think that's an xbmc thing.

No, it's a DLNA thing (or a Humax implementation of DLNA thing anyway).

You are correct I have auto unprotect enabled so hd content works over dlna ;-)

Very impressed with my humax, thanks to cfw its the best purchase I've made for some time.

And my family agree

Regards

Damian

I don't suppose it would take much to get direct access via a Samba share (decrypted content of course)?

Do you fancy writing up a detailed how-to describing what you did to get where you are (photos would be nice)?

Will do, probably be by the weekend :)

you mentionned humax's dlna being the cause of the lack of fast forward, does mediatomb solve that ?

GREAT NEWS!!

License keys arrived, put sd card in pc and added them to config.txt and booted raspbmc, pi with hardware mpeg2 now plays everything off my humax!

No decrypt or demuxing just raspbmc rc4 and the mpeg license (I also purchased and installed vc1)

Sd recordings work, I can select audio and subtitles
Hd recordings work 1080p and I

Oh and cec (tv remote) control now works perfect ! Awesome pi is powered from the usb on the tv

Just been offered another pi, gonna grab it !

Was Hoping we eventually get an auto demux so tv's built in player will do it but to be honest xbmc is so much better ill use the pi

Regards

Damian

Do the images in your Pictures folder work? Mine are oddly blank.

Well.. having read this have ordered a Raspberry Pi - been meaning to as soon as they became easier to get anyway but prodded me into action. Have been playing around with the DLNA client from other machines and can see everything OK on Win 7 and Android but everything shows as unsupported file type.

Will have a read around the forum more as not taken much notice of DLNA access IN to the Humax upto now. As far as I was aware I had got everything unencrypted, and ones specifically taken to unencrypt do the same (SD and HD content).

Will see how well the Raspberry PI works with it when it comes, if it works as well as it seems then the Asus O!play can get pensioned off and replaced by this.

Steve

Using Raspberry Pi with Raspbmc & Humax HDR Foxt2

You may also be able to use open ELEC but I haven’t tried this as for some time as I found raspbmc worked better for me.

You will need:
A Humax HDR FOX T 2 with DLNA Enabled, networked (mine is via ethernet)
Optional – for HD content – Custom Firmware Installed and auto-unprotect package installed
(I’m not covering how to do this on this post, I’m assuming you have already enabled DLNA and tested it on your PC/Mac via VLC or whatever your program of choice is)​
Raspberry Pi (again networked - mine is via ethernet)
Power Supply with enough amps for the pi – most problems people experience are due to power supplies that do not provide enough current.
2gb or greater SD (class 6 or above recommended but will work with slower card)

SD Card Reader – note my Dell internal reader wouldn’t produce a writable image – I used a usb SD reader and it worked no problem.
HDMI Cable

One of the following for control of XBMC:
- TV that supports CEC (control of device via tv remote / hdmi)
- USB Keyboard​
You will also need to buy mpeg2 license keys for streaming of non HD content, read later on how to get the serial number off your raspberry pi (needed to purchase the keys).​
One of the following (to access terminal and get serial number of pi to purchase keys for mpeg2):
- Usb Keyboard
- SSH client on your pc / mac / tablet mpeg2 keys)​
Getting Raspbmc

http://www.raspbmc.com/download/ - go for the gui launcher version.

Once downloaded connect SD card to PC

Run the and run the gui as administrator (right click) if on vista / 7.

{pic1}

Select your SD device – and click install,
{pic2}

Note – this will download & install a base installer to your sd card that will boot on the raspberry pi then connect to the internet & download then partition your SD card – windows cannot read more than the 1st partition on removable media – to be able to use your sd card again there is a restore device for formatting button on the raspbmc installer.
Linux / Mac’s don’t have this limitation.

It will tell you when it's completed

{pic3}
Safely remove the SD card from windows and put it in your raspberry pi
{pic4}

Connect you pi up to your TV, I’m careful and always connect everything then power on the power supply.
After a few seconds you’ll go from rainbow boot screen, to linux loading, to the installer – it will do all it needs and take 10 – 25 mins depending on the speed of your internet connection and the speed / Size of the SD card you are using.

Eventually after several restarts youll be in XBMC now we need to get the serial of the cpu so you can buy the keys.

On your USB keyboard press S, then select Exit

At this point my tv goes into standby so turn it back on with the remote, then press ESC on the keyboard

You now need to login with the following details
Username: pi
Password: raspberry

You will be asked to set your regional information, locale etc and finally thrown back to the shell.

Now type

cat /proc/cpuinfo

you will get all the information about your pi including the serial number
{pic}

type exit then press return twice and you’ll be back in XBMC on your pi

press S then this time choose shutdown, power off your pi.

Now you can go to http://www.raspberrypi.com/license-keys/ on your pc/mac/tablet and buy your key for mpeg2, I purchased VC1 as well.

The keys can take up to 72 hours, mine were 12 hours, my friends almost instant.

once you have the keys we need to add them to the SD card so making sure the pi is powered off remove the SD card and put it back in your PC and you will see a 60/70MB partition

{pic}

In here is a file called config.txt, we need to add the keys – DO NOT USE NOTEPAD on PC! The linux files have a different line feed / carriage return and it can cause problems.

Open the file with WordPad or NotePad ++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/)
Add your license keys (I have 2, one for MPEG2 and one for VC1) then save + close the file

{pic}

Safely remove the SD card and insert into the raspberry pi and power it on.

Now we can stream some recordings!

Using the USB Keyboard arrow keys and return, move to VIDEOS and press return

{pic}

move to files and press return
{pic}

move to add videos and press return
{pic}

Right arrow to move to BROWSE them press return
{pic}

move to UPNP Devices and press return
{pic}

Select your HDR FOX T2 Media Server and press return (I have Media Tomb running as well – please ignore that)
{pic}

Select My Contents then press return
{pic}

Select My Video then press return
{pic}

Press left arrow on keyboard and select OK
{pic}

Move press DOWN arrow on keyboard and select OK
{pic}

XBMC can automatically scrape the internet for information & thumbnails, I don’t bother so just move down to exclude this folder from scans and press return then down to OK and press return
{pic}

When the warning appears select no then press return

You’ll never have to do that again! You now have HDR-FOX T2 Media Server listed under videos

Press return to select it. Using the arrow keys and return find the file you want to play and press... you guessed it RETURN!
After a few seconds your file will play, you will see a stutter for the first few seconds

Proof

Alien 3 in HD from Channel 4 HD:
{pic}

Aliens in SD:
{pic}

Total Recall / Runing Man HD
{pic}

If you get audio only for SD content then your license key isn’t working, make sure you use notepad ++ or wordpad, I did have my keys issued twice as the first were incorrect.

I haven’t listed it here but my TV remote works, I can also enable subtitles.

The Humax built in DLNA server doesn’t enable fast forward or rewind, this is a limitation of their implementation not the pi, I tried mediatomb and that didn’t allow it for me either.

Ok I've made a pdf as I'm out of time tonight to upload the photo's onto a server and link them in.

Attachments

• Using Raspberry Pi with Raspbmc.pdf
    800 KB · Views: 88
No problem, Its nice to be able to give something back that may help others as I've found the forum so useful.

Any suggestions on where to bulk upload the pictures so I can link them to the post ?

Regards

Damian

Just one small point to note, the Raspberry Pi uses standard SD cards, doesn't need to be a Micro-SD (although they obviously can be used if you have a suitable adapter). I believe the Raspbmc developers are working on incorporating the codec management in the Raspbmc Settings plugin. Hopefully this will include a facility to query the serial number without having to exit out to the UNIX shell.

I do have some photos of the kit :) will try and sort it our

Thanks for the pickup, yes I use micro sd but it's in an adapter - will correct that too :)

2agunupe.jpg

y5ygetad.jpg

Just got my codec licence through, banged it on and SD streaming's working perfectly : )

Excellent :)

its an amazing little media player - with the additonal codecs it plays all I have, there are rumours about it being able to hardware decode dts (another license required), I think it can do it software but the overhead means it cannot then stream those files over network.

I also found some pictures - managed to link them from my phone in the post above, apologies if they're a bit small - 200k limit on tapatalk image hosting

Regards

Damian

Thanks for your guide Damian,
I've set up a Pi too, and I love it! The interface is really nice, the way it populates itself with info and artwork of movies, really really impressive stuff! I've ordered a further 2 Pis so all TVs in the house can access my hummy, plus my movies and music! For just £30 a telly! Bargain

Back