RCA to RF

Tony Greene

I have a built-in RF distribution system that I want to continue to use in the house.
My ageing Topfield combines playback with RF so I can distribute playback around the house.
Has anyone tried using the RCA composite and audio outputs on the Humax FVP-500t into a RF modulator as a way of doing this?

I know the humax doesn't combine playback with RF.

I don't really want to go to the expense of the H3 wifi box at £80 when I can get an RF modulator for around £20.

TonyG

I'm guessing that for £20 the RF modulator you are referring to is meant to feed an analogue TV or something else that has an analogue RF TV input, it won't be able to supply anything that only has a DVB-T or DVB-T2 RF tuner

analogue = Non digital TV system

I'm guessing that for £20 the RF modulator you are referring to is meant to feed an analogue TV or something else that has an analogue RF TV input, it won't be able to supply anything that only has a DVB-T or DVB-T2 RF tuner

* Non digital TV system
Yes, my two Samsung tv's have analogue as well as dvb tuners. I can tune to the relevant rf channel on each and successfully transmit recordings from my topfield around the house using a rf amplifier. I also have a very old analogue tv running off a fox hd box which can also tune to the channel.

I also want to use the hdmi output to my surround system at the same time.

So really the rf modulator is for playback of recordings only.

I have a built-in RF distribution system that I want to continue to use in the house.
My ageing Topfield combines playback with RF so I can distribute playback around the house.
Has anyone tried using the RCA composite and audio outputs on the Humax FVP-500t into a RF modulator as a way of doing this?

I know the humax doesn't combine playback with RF.

I don't really want to go to the expense of the H3 wifi box at £80 when I can get an RF modulator for around £20.

TonyG

I can confirm this works provided you change a default menu setting. Freeview Play - settings - general settings - video - SD output Always On

Splitting the hdmi out and using a digital modulator is a much superior way however. A Digital modulator creates a HD DVB-T channel that pretty well all HD TV's (including non Freeview-HD kit) can tune to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technomate...pID=41N0m0Zr-NL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited:

analogue = Non digital TV system

I have never seen even a new TV that doesn't have legacy PAL tuning. It would cost money to remove it so why bother. Millions still use a Sky remote magic eye system and two makers make a box that allows the system to be used with a non Sky CVBS and Analogue audio source.

I have never seen even a new TV that doesn't have legacy PAL tuning.
You can be sure it will happen. There is a non-recurring cost in redesigning without analogue tuner support, but the parts cost reduction (even if only pennies) is significant at the low-cost mass-consumer end of the market.

You can be sure it will happen. There is a non-recurring cost in redesigning without analogue tuner support, but the parts cost reduction (even if only pennies) is significant at the low-cost mass-consumer end of the market.

I don't think it will. It's not only used for TV most CCTV kit uses pal rf modulators. When and if you can buy a digital modulator for £20.00 that would certainly make a difference. I assumed the PAL support is built in to large scale chips so removing would need new chips which wouldn't save anything.

I've done time in mass market product design - trust me, it will happen. The vast majority of the consumers at this end of the market don't care what other facilities a TV has, as long as it receives what's transmitted and connects to their bluray/PRV/Sky box. Anything that doesn't need to be there (for sales) can be pruned, and will be for even the slightest cost saving.

Back