Re-Boot Problems.

Gerrymac

Hi,
This morning when I turned the box on from Stand-by, a notice greeted me,telling me there where no channels stored..
I hit OK and it started to re-tune.This has happened on a few occassions..I had the disable ota installed but have removed this.
I have looked in all logs and found a re-boot occured @05.15 this morn...but a re-boot wouldn,t have any effect on Channel Retune?
All Network Settings/Series Link Recordings were lost as well.
Last week this happened but it was a factory reset..I did carry out a FR prior to this..
I,ll see if this happens again this week.
I normally just use the Remote to put box in stand-by every night before bed.

Hi,
Just queued a recording via rs...there appeared a que for Reboot Humax,if idle..(have been reading up on how to use this).
Had re-booted Box via the webif..tried to view webif...nothing showing in browser. Went in and yet again box was had reset...Is there any package within CF that I need for this to stop..On a other matter, the wireless settings (ip addy) doesn,t seem to hold even thought I have set it to Manual.( I have wirelesshelper installed)
As I,m typing this I have lost the settings yet again...Browser can,t find page!!

Is there any package within CF that I need for this to stop
The unit performing a factory reset? No. If this persists, there is no choice but to conclude the unit is at life end. However, to decide one way or the other:
  1. Disconnect the HDD;
  2. Re-flash the firmware.
Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click)

On a other matter, the wireless settings (ip addy) doesn,t seem to hold even thought I have set it to Manual.( I have wirelesshelper installed)
As I,m typing this I have lost the settings yet again...Browser can,t find page!!
Could you at least manage to start a new paragraph for a new question? If the unit is failing to the extent of performing factory resets (or forgetting all its settings thus having the same effect), all bets are off.

Hi,
I,m going to revert back to the Manufactures, firmware. Since d/loading the CF these re-boot issues have started,nothing like this ever happened prior to using CF. I would not have the sufficent qualities to take my box apart to fix it.
I will keep reading on here as the knowledge of members is vast and great. Maybe I,m doing something incorrect..something as straight-forward as scheduling from phone resets the box!! The box is only 5/6 yrs old.
Many Thanks for all solutions and added information.

The huge amount of experience with CF running on an enormous number of HDR-FOXes says that it is not the CF itself responsible for your problems.

When you say "reset", do you mean a reboot or a return to factory defaults? If the former, that is not uncommon and is not sinister (particularly when a network interaction is involved). The Humax code is not very well tested and debugged in the networking area, and it is prone to crashing if there are network communication errors (which in better code are checked for and filtered out). Frequent crashes when the network is involved can be cured by improving your network reliability.

However, I took from your previous posts that it is frequent return to factory defaults you are concerned about. I put my money on it being coincidental and in no way connected with the CF as such, and if they go away by installing stock firmware it would be worth reinstalling CF again to confirm they come back. It is worth getting to the bottom of it, and as far as testing with the HDD disconnected is concerned it only needs a crosspoint screwdriver. Full instructions with illustrations are available here: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-hardware-commissioning-disassembly-repair.5728/#post-109121 - IT IS NOT DIFFICULT. All our boxes are "only" 5/6/7 years old - it went on sale in 2010. That is a long time for a consumer product. Plenty of us have found it necessary to replace HDDs in that time (although I haven't, with four units in more-or-less continuous use).

However, that said, it's your box and you can operate it however you like. I think I can speak for the vast majority here that we wouldn't even think of using ours without CF!

Hi BH,
It reverts back to factory defaults..all timed recordings are lost,channels are lost and the first page I see is No.1 Select Langauge.Then I go through all the steps and Hit Save.
I did read from your link concerning RS...and have set the box to come on at 04.00 and off at 04.10 for the purpose of the box re-booting to find the scheduled recording..Before carrying this out I had selected a programme for recording on my mobile...then re-booted from webif..tried to get webif on browser..went to box and had reverted back to factory settings.

I have just checked and my box is 4 years old...I know by reading posts on here that CF is the way to go..I,myself haven,t yet grasped all...The one thing I try and the box resets.
I will try what you have suggested initially, and see how that goes.

Cheers.

Hi BH,
It reverts back to factory defaults..all timed recordings are lost,channels are lost and the first page I see is No.1 Select Langauge.Then I go through all the steps and Hit Save.
I did read from your link concerning RS...and have set the box to come on at 04.00 and off at 04.10 for the purpose of the box re-booting to find the scheduled recording..Before carrying this out I had selected a programme for recording on my mobile...then re-booted from webif..tried to get webif on browser..went to box and had reverted back to factory settings.

I have just checked and my box is 4 years old...I know by reading posts on here that CF is the way to go..I,myself haven,t yet grasped all...The one thing I try and the box resets.
I will try what you have suggested initially, and see how that goes.

Cheers.
When the box loses its settings, as you described, it may not actually have done a clean reset of the flash memory. When it happens to me (I think most people see this problem occasionally) I quickly skip through the wizard, stopping the tuning straight away and not saving, then I do a proper factory reset from the menu, without disk format. Without doing this I had problems with the wifi settings disappearing and the box 'wizarding' quite regularly. I see you have done a factory reset before but I would try this again and see if it helps.
This is unrelated to your problem, but the box will switch on of its own accord at 4:30 am to check for software updates over the air (it won't find any). I would remove the on/off (4 am/ 4:10 am) timer and set a reminder for 4:20 am to 4:40 am on a channel such as BBC Red Button (200) as this will stop the unit switching on and off again twice in a short space of time. With the custom firmware such a reminder will be set automatically if you install the disable OTA package and turn on the reminder option (Webif settings page).

I have flashed the firmware and now have the manufactures, firmware installed. With this installed does the box still switch on at 04.30 to look for up-dates?
I,m going to install the CF again and follow what you have said regarding the reminder.I did carry out a rs last night but it failed to record..again.
I will report back if the same problems occur over the week-end.
Cheers.

With this installed does the box still switch on at 04.30 to look for up-dates?
Yes. Providing it's not switched off at the mains. That's why the CF has it's trick to stop it updating
I did carry out a rs last night but it failed to record..again.
What do you mean by "rs"? 'Our' RS is Remote Scheduling, which needs the CF installed (I think).

Yes..CF was installed...this was scheduled last night..I removed all this morning after checking.
I used to put box into stand by last thing at night...but now I leave it on.I take it if it's stand by mode it will not reboot @04.30.I never turn off at socket...

I don't think...it reboots as such...but just wakes...up from standby...and waits for an update...Similar to the way...it wakes up...15 mins before...a scheduled recording...to 'look for' the start signal....

I would remove the on/off (4 am/ 4:10 am) timer and set a reminder for 4:20 am to 4:40 am on a channel such as BBC Red Button (200) as this will stop the unit switching on and off again twice in a short space of time.
I have done this for tomorrow morning.I scheduled a recording again for this morning but it failed.
Does the box need to On or in Stand-by or does it matter for any scheuled recording to take place?

Doesn't matter so long as it's switched on at the mains.
If 'Off' (by the off button on the R/C) it's 'asleep' and sort of 'half wakes up' 15 mins before the programme is scheduled to start looking for the AR marker transmitted by the broadcaster (If you are doing AR {default} not padding) then starts recording at the 'start marker' until the 'end marker'.

Cheers Trev....I,ll let ya know if this works out tomorrow.
Is there an info page on Settings ( webif ) by any chance?

Had scheduled a recording for 05.00 this morning and it worked....result.
I have the box set to come on at 04.20..off at 04.40 on Ch 200
Will play around a bit with recordings all scheduled from my phone.
Many Thanks for the advice....no factory resets since last week...

Cheers.

Back