Read only file system

Lawrence

Gents,
I noticed the other day that live pause had stopped working. Scheduled recordings are working okay.
Not sure what was wrong I updated to latest fw and then latest custom fw but the problem still persisted.
I then went in search of some diagnostics and the general tests came back okay but when I tried to updated he installed packages the log showed a few errors like cant stat dir, no dir and read only file system.

In our Linux systems at work we get read only file system errors on boot partitions following power failures or failing disks requiring a reformat .

Is this a correct assumption?
What is the best method of fixing?

Thanks
Lawrence

You are right. The kernel has most likely set the filesystem to read-only mode due to filesystem errors.
You need to use the custom firmware to put the box into maintenance mode and run a full disk check. This is done via telnet so the first thing to do is to get access to your Humax via telnet. That will ask for a password which is the system PIN (0000 unless you have changed it).

Once you're in, you'll see a menu. Choose option 1 to restart into maintenance mode and then connect again. You'll get a different menu and option one is to perform a disk check.

Edit: I'm sure there must be a page on the wiki or somewhere that I could have referenced.. might edit one in shortly.

I have found myself going into the WiKi to add some new feature, only to find that it is already there and I put it there ! ! !. I would like to think that this something that will happen less as time goes on, But . . . .

Thanks Both.

I can see what happend in my case, developers gravitate towards a wiki and users towards a forum but not necessarily both.
As a user I went for the forum and read the pinned topics at the top and there was no reference hence the question.

Maybe add the reference to hard drive problems and no live pause as an indicator of such a problem with a link to the wiki might get us over there for the answer?

Also as a feature request out of this; There was no indication of a drive issue until I noticed the output from the failed module updates, so maybe if the web interface could flag up a read only FS with a suggestion to use maintenance mode to fix that might help others in the future..

I must say the custom firmware is just excellent work chaps and I feel a donation pending, where is the donate link? (I'll check the wiki)

I must say the custom firmware is just excellent work chaps and I feel a donation pending, where is the donate link? (I'll check the wiki)

There isn't anywhere to donate for the custom firmware; it's completely free and many people contribute to its success.

There is a donate button on this site for contributing towards the running of this forum (it runs commercial paid-for software and the hummy.tv domain name is not cheap).

If you're a user of the Remote Scheduling service then that also has a donate button on it as it is also commercially hosted and incurs costs.

It's also worth taking the time to look at the adverts on these two sites because they often contain relevant and interesting content that I enjoy reading. :rolleyes:

Maybe add the reference to hard drive problems and no live pause as an indicator of such a problem with a link to the wiki might get us over there for the answer?
You have to be a bit careful linking live pause failure to the HDD going read-only because there is a more common cause for this. If you select a TV channel to watch by pressing say '1' on your remote and then wait a few seconds, you will be able to pause live TV, however if you press '1' again you see no change (as you are already watching channel 1) but the pause button together with 8 other remote buttons stop working Details HERE, this is fixed by selecting another channel

Back