Reallocate Sectors - Advice Appreciated

Peso

Member
Hello, seeking advice/reassurance on a relocated sector alarm.

My mums Humax at boot reported 2 reallocated sectors the other day. I followed the link for advice and as I wasn’t in a position to run fixdisk then, I followed the advice to acknowledge the error and see if it goes up on subsequent boots.

It hasn’t.



I was able to run fixdisk today, twice. Both times it didn’t report anything untoward. At the start of each run it did say „No pending sectors found - skipping sector repair“.

Is that because I acknowledged them before running fixdisk? Did I do it in the wrong order? Coronation Street and Gardener’s World hang in the balance so it’s very serious.

Other than that box functioning normally.


Attached a couple of screen shots if they assist.

Thank you to the learned people in advance
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8481.jpeg
    IMG_8481.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8482.jpeg
    IMG_8482.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8483.jpeg
    IMG_8483.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 7
Reallocated sectors are the HDDs normal self-repair mechanism, and should be "transparent" (in other words: handled in the background with no obvious side-effects). Sometimes there is a hitch and the data is unverifiable, and the fault has to be handled with the HDD off-line – Fixdisk can sort that out by putting the HDD off-line and triggering the repair system. You'll only run into trouble if that didn't work or if the pool of spare sectors runs out.
 
9 days later the reallocated sector count has gone from 2 to 3.
Can run fixdisk again tomorrow.
Should we be considering a new drive?
 
Back
Top