Recmon

kevindickinson

Firstly - fantastic software could not imagine my humax without the customisation now. It's only when reading forums on other sites that I realise a lot of the features I take for granted are not part of the "standard" firmware.

Secondly - having problems installing recmon, I'm getting the message:

Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for recmon:

*. Inotifytools. *

Looking at installed packages I have inotify-tools installed but nothing without the - sign

Have I forgotten to update something or is there a type error in the initial release?

Recmon? What the heck is recmon? As far as I can see it's not listed in the Wiki package notes, or in the WebIF package management pages, so what exactly are you up to? Do you mean sysmon by any chance?

Ye gods, you want to be on the bleedin' edge then! When will we get an announcement what it's supposed to do?

Maybe I am being a bit a bit too enthusiastic. Just happened to be playing with my box when it was released.

According to the tweet it's a utility to allow a command to be executed when a recording finishes.

Will leave it for tonight - on holiday from tomorrow so something to play with when I get back

(on reflection probably not a good idea to install a new package the day before I go away!)

OK, gotcha.

@ Kevin - recmon will only be installed as a dependency for other packages. No need to install it directly.

No need to install it directly but if anyone wants to play you can do something like:

Code:
humax# /mod/sbin/recmon /bin/echo

and you should get paths of recordings to the screen shortly after they complete.

Press control and C at the same time - that's the standard UNIX interrupt sequence which terminates whatever you are running.

Press control and C at the same time - that's the standard UNIX interrupt sequence which terminates whatever you are running.

Thanks. I'd assumed wrongly that it was inserting a hook somewhere to do that and not running interactively...!

Code:
humax# /mod/sbin/recmon /bin/echo
and you should get paths of recordings to the screen shortly after they complete.
Is it intended that files moved into the Dustbin trigger this notification?

Not directly but it's a side effect of how it works. It's up to the utility that gets the notification to decide if it needs to act on the information though so it doesn't matter if extra notifications are generated.

When a single programme is recorded the action is run at the end of the recording and when the recording is deleted (moved to dustbin). For a series linked recording, the action is still run at the end of the recording but not when either the recording or its containing directory is deleted.

When a single programme is recorded the action is run at the end of the recording and when the recording is deleted (moved to dustbin). For a series linked recording, the action is still run at the end of the recording but not when either the recording or its containing directory is deleted.

Strange (although not a problem). It is using inotify and looking for CLOSE_WRITE events - probably similar to auto-unprotect.

As long as the utility is called once per recording that completes it does the job.

Posted on the move. Please excuse any brevity.

That's weird. What could cause the difference between recordings made as individuals or part of a series? - presumably that series recordings are not directly in My Video. Running flatten is going to trigger a lot of recmons!

Apologie For my original misunderstanding - have been away on holiday fora few weeks so not had a chancetoreply.

I'm was thinking this could be useful to confirm a recording has completed successfully - would be a great reassurance when on holiday.

I know you an see disk contents but that's usually a day out of date and not as easy to access as email when away.

Back