Recommend me a programmable remote

But you have to use a computer/smartphone to do it rather than the nice and convenient remote control handset.:rolleyes:

No you don't. If the virtual remote package is available for Foxsat, it can intercept button presses from the handset and translate them to an alternative button press or a macro. I think I said that further up the topic.

It's not mega useful on the HDR-FOX, because the menu sequences require indeterminate numbers of cursor ups and downs, but if there is a universally used button sequence on Foxsat such as Schedule >> Red this can easily be accommodated and assigned to a button that the user doesn't have a use for. Then, on a universal programmable remote such as a Harmony 300, one of the unassigned buttons (such as the buttons 1-4 I mentioned above) can then be given the function of that "unused" button, and translated to Schedule >> Red by the virtual remote package (if available on Foxsat CF).

Oh that's very interesting BH ........ I shall be investigating later :)
(I'm not at the house where the foxsat is right now)

No you don't.
Sorry, but Trev is correct, in the case of the Foxsat HDR you do.
If the virtual remote package is available for Foxsat, it can intercept button presses from the handset and translate them to an alternative button press or a macro.
A virtual remote package is available, but not the same one as the T2. It cannot intercept button presses as the implementation is completely different.
The T2 employs a special environment variable to preload a custom lib that dynamically replaces existing IR related function calls in the humaxtv executable binary. The Foxsat uses a separate executable binary to write to the IR message queue, and does not dynamically alter the settop binary at all.

Oh, that's a shame.... oh well.
On the plus side I've just removed the grey lacquer from inside the IR window and the performance is much much better!
Firstly, have you taken off the inner screen protective sheet from under the flap?
How do I recognise this ..... can't really see anything on the inside of the flap

How do I recognise this ..... can't really see anything on the inside of the flap
It's not on the inside of the flap itself. It covers the clear panel which is exposed when you open the flap, that holds the display, IR receiver, and buttons. You should be able to see, and feel, the edges it's still there.

But it's a bugger to see. I've modified my original post to make this a bit clearer. Thanks raydon.

Sorry, but Trev is correct, in the case of the Foxsat HDR you do.
Fair enough, but I did qualify my observation as relating to HDR-FOX. Maybe the OP would consider the availability of the virtual remote control using a WiFi-connected tablet or smart phone a suitable alternative to a physical remote, and I presume the package (even on a Foxsat) has macro capability?

A virtual remote package is available, but not the same one as the T2. It cannot intercept button presses as the implementation is completely different.
Believe me, if the freeview model had used a message queue like the Foxsat does then life would have been a lot easier : )

I do have the ability to control via wifi using either my phone or chromebook which is fine. That said the Harmony 300 I bought off ebay has just arrived and I've set it up and it's really good :)
I've set the 'guide' button to actually send the 'schedule' command and then I can easily press red as it's close to the guide button - so I think I'm sorted now.

This Harmony remote has got me thinking though .... they're pretty impressive and I may get another for one of the other TV's we have around the place.

Believe me, if the freeview model had used a message queue like the Foxsat does then life would have been a lot easier : )
Yes, I can see that a lot of work went into that. Curious as to how you managed to hook into humaxtv IR functions. I thought LD_PRELOAD only allowed hooks into functions in shared object libraries, not in the main binary.

Yes, I can see that a lot of work went into that. Curious as to how you managed to hook into humaxtv IR functions. I thought LD_PRELOAD only allowed hooks into functions in shared object libraries, not in the main binary.
The hooked functions are in libnexus.so although it also has to do some heap scanning to find data structures for locking and queue allocation.

Back