Recommendations for a indoor aerial

Die Twice

Hi all been read this great forum for many years as I have a HDR-FOX T2 with customised firmware which just great. However the house I just moved to has only Sat feed and no external aerial. Don't want run wires around the house have tried some cheap areals, which are ok until you move near them. Have 3 tv's, live in Cardiff so using the wenvoe tv transmitter. Any recommendations thanks

I will be surprised if anyone will recommend an internal aerial. They pretty much all suffer the problem that you have found. What about a loft aerial with splitter and internal drops to the TVs?

If it wasn't necessary, none of us would run wires around our houses. Sorry, but that's the only reasonable solution: bite the bullet, do it once (properly), never have to do it again.

But if you do, use good quality coax. WF100 is about the best for the job or perhaps the similar
LABGEAR PF100 from Screwfix. More expensive than RG6, but much better quality and will last a lifetime. Don't be put off by the fact they call it satellite cable, it's super for TV as well.

I will be surprised if anyone will recommend an internal aerial. They pretty much all suffer the problem that you have found.
I've only ever seen recommendations for a set-top aerial within 1 mile or so of the local high powered transmitter (Waltham on the Wolds). Even then, I've seen plenty of external aerials in that village. I'm 15 miles from that transmitter and a hi-gain aerial is recommended. A loft aerial (no amplification) gives a perfectly acceptable signal from Waltham - and even picks up more distant signals (BBCA and D3&4) from Belmont (49 miles) and Sutton Coldfield (37 miles) despite the aerial facing the wrong way.

Thanks for all getting back me, even if you're not tell me want I want to hear. The main TV in house with humax connected shouldn't be impossible to connect to external aerial and not look to ugly. Is there much difference been external aerials performance. Thanks

Last edited:
Get a log Periodic unless you live in an extreme fringe area. But I don't think Cardiff (Wenvoe) is an extreme fringe area.
People might scoff, but I get great results from THIS one from screwfix. It's very small. (comes in an 12" square box) You will need a mounting bracket and coax of course.

Will have a look at that aerials and tv site, but I think a visit to screwfix as it's local and really good on Returns. Aerial, bracket, PF100 cable, D line trunking, any thing else

Connectors for the cable. screw on F type for the aerial and Belling Lee for the TV end. Cable clips. some sort of tape/boot (self amalgamating is best) to seal the F type to the cable and the captive aerial connector.

Get a log Periodic unless you live in an extreme fringe area. But I don't think Cardiff (Wenvoe) is an extreme fringe area.
People might scoff, but I get great results from THIS one from screwfix. It's very small. (comes in an 12" square box) You will need a mounting bracket and coax of course.
Thanks. I might get one later this year for trying out on top of a cupboard which has line of site with a window then a gab between buildings and then beyond that a transmitter.

I'm late to the party but my test Humax box just has one of these on top of it and it works fine. It's magnetically stuck to the top of the right hand side of the case.
... and you didn't even bring a bottle!

Just how close to the transmitter are you? And how powerful is the transmitter?

Fair point - just under 14 miles from Emley Moor with nothing in the way apart from the rest of the house.

Thanks 4 the shopping list Trev. That little aerial has some got some good reviews af123, can try that on the TV that would be a real s**t to run wires to.

Fair point - just under 14 miles from Emley Moor with nothing in the way apart from the rest of the house.
Emley also has the same high power (174kW) on all muxes except COM7, COM8 and local, not all transmitters (eg Waltham) do. Can you pick up the local tv multiplex (5kW) with that aerial?

Yes putting it in my loft would be easier, however even easier is waiting to see if af123 recommendation works tomorrow. There is only one neighbours house in the way of a clear line of site to the transmitter. So for less than a ten it's worth a try, would I be right in thinking a true test is no break up of the signal when the weather is bad.

Back