Record from VCR to Hummy?

Moss

Hi, I'm new here, regards to all.

We've got quite a lot of old VHS tapes which I'd like to transfer to a hard drive. Scouring t'internet I found a Guardian article which suggests that you can sometimes use a scart lead to transfer tapes to a PVR such as the Foxsat-HDR we have.

I've searched this forum and not seen any posts about such and not, so far, been successful myself. Has anyone ever done this? Or will I need to buy a VHS capture device myself? (I've seen the Honestech VHStoDVD 7.0 Deluxe in action and though it captures OK, its conversion routines look to be woefully slow compared to the latest ffmpeg which I can easily work on my own PC. £70 for a mere capture device seems a lot to fork out.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Moss

I don't think that there are any Humax TV boxes that record any signal other than Off The Air. The various sockets on the back are output only as far as I know.

Ah, I see. Thanks for putting me straight!

The only pvr type devices that have external recording capability are ones based on a DVD/Blu-Ray recorders. These have the required mpeg encoders to turn analogue into digital (dac) that can be recorded to a hard disk. Proper pvrs don't need these because the tuners deliver digital data that can be recorded to a hard disk as is.

I bought a cheap second hand analogue dvd recorder from ebay, and dvd-ram disc to put in it. I record the output of my old VCR to the ram disc, then load it onto the PC and use VideoRedo to edit and burn to DVD.

We've got quite a lot of old VHS tapes which I'd like to transfer to a hard drive. Scouring t'internet I found a Guardian article which suggests that you can sometimes use a scart lead to transfer tapes to a PVR such as the Foxsat-HDR we have.
You need an old analogue PVR, not a PVR designed exclusively for use with digital broadcasts (such as DVB-S and DVB-T - ie digital satellite and digital terrestrial respectively).

I have a Liteon and a Yamada (a Liteon clone) which are pre-digital TV and contain an analogue TV tuner - they convert an analogue video/audio stream from the tuner or external AV inputs into a digital format that is then stored to disk and can be copied to a built-in optical drive.

PVRs for digital TV don't have analogue inputs or the means to convert analogue video to digital.

Video digitisers that connect to PC by USB are very inexpensive - that's your best bet if this is a one-off or infrequent requirement.

Back