Recorded files still limited to less than 4gbytes?

greenarrow

I have recorded the Olympics opening ceromony, but it's a big file, greater than 4 gb. Any there any options for copying this on to a Windows compatible medium?

The limitation is down to the file system used on your usb device. It's probably FAT32.

You need to format the device in the linux EXT3 format. Download the free version of Easeus Partition manager to format in windows. To read the drive on a wndows PC you need to install EXT2FS. Alternatively installing the custom firmware will let you copy direct to your PC. Don't bother if you recorded in HD it will be encrypted so you won't be able to do anything with it on a PC. Using non-freesat mode you can record without encryption.

I'd like to use a Toshiba (USB powered) portable hard drive to back-up/transfer some recordings. This is formatted NTFS and looking at the disk under Windows 7, it can be reformatted to exFAT (no sign of FAT32) or default NTFS only. Will Easeus Partition enable me to reformat the disk to EXT3 for it to be used to transfer recordings, including some larger than 4GB? If I choose to later, can I reformat the disk back to NTFS (losing the data of course).

I'd like to use a Toshiba (USB powered) portable hard drive to back-up/transfer some recordings. This is formatted NTFS and looking at the disk under Windows 7, it can be reformatted to exFAT (no sign of FAT32) or default NTFS only. Will Easeus Partition enable me to reformat the disk to EXT3 for it to be used to transfer recordings, including some larger than 4GB? If I choose to later, can I reformat the disk back to NTFS (losing the data of course).

Yes to both. You do know you won't be able to play the file on anything else than the hdr if you recorded it in HD. EXT2FS will let you use a EXT3 drive in windows. The custom firmware will let you copy a file directly to a PC using Windows Explorer or ftp.

Back