Recording causes picture to break up (on BBC channels)

Jonnno

Hi,

I've aPVR-9300T. If I set ITV1 to record and then go to BBC1, BBC1 is breaking up/freezing/blocky. If I stop the recording and go back to BBC1 all is well. If I set BBC2 to record and go to BBC1 all is well.

Is this something to do with the 2nd tuner and the BBC channels all being on one MUX?

I'm going to do some more testing to see if I can find a common denominator. It always seems to be the BBC channels that break up rather than any others.

Thanks.

Yes, it sounds like a second tuner problem. Does the opposite occur i.e. record BBC1 and then go to ITV1? You probably need to test all combinations of muxes both ways round to see if you can pin it down. Quite what you do about it depends on what your signal levels are and what you find I guess. Have you any way of independently assessing the relative signal levels of all the muxes from your aerial?

Will the 9300T show me the signal levels from different channels accurately? Haven't had chance to test further, someone is watching a recorded episode of "Downton" and if I suggest breaking off I will get my head handed to me. ;)

Will the 9300T show me the signal levels from different channels accurately?
I don't know. I only have a 9200 and I can't remember what it does now. This is where the T2 wins, as you can interrogate the tuners independently and compare.

My wo 9200Ts were directly comparably with my 9300T when I had one. I can confirm that the 9300T does give satisfactory results when comparing different muxes with its own readings. Signal levels can only be given for tuner 1 on the 9200T and if IIRC the reason that I believe that for the 9200T also applies to the 9300T.

I did some more testing.

It's definitely only the BBC mux that has the issues. I can record two BBC chans and watch a 3rd non BBC no problem. Or I can record two non-BBC and watch a recording at the same time just fine. But the minute I start recording a non-BBC chan I can't watch any BBC chans, they all break up and go blocky/stutter etc.

I went to BBC1 and then checked the signal strength and it said 80% with 100% quality. I set ITV1 to record, went to BBC1 and checked again. Still 80% but quality now varies between 40% and 80%. I set it up the other way around, ie recording BBC1 and viewing ITV, both were 80%S/100%Q.

I'm stumped. I have the latest software update, the unit is working 100% in every other respect, it's just bizarre.

I think the probable conclusion is a faulty tuner. Probably not much you can do about it cost-effectively.

Manual Retune?

But note down your recording schedule. Before custom firmware I used to photograph the schedule on my phone.

I did a reset to factory settings and a re-tune but it's no different unfortunately.

I realy like the 9300. Is there a similar, better Humax model? (with scart out, it's a very old TV)

Back