"Recording failed but didn't"

rg001c7345

Last night I selected to play 'Alphas' on 5* and received a message something like, "Recording has failed due to conflict of higher priority recordings, do you want to play anyway?" (not the exact message).

I selected 'Yes' and it played fine from beginning through to the end - no problems.

My guess is that the previous programme on 5* (Sarah Connor) that I recorded also, overran by 1 or 2 minutres which caused this message?

Is my logic sound?

Thanks,

Rg.

This is quite a common message that gets tagged to 'good' recordings, I don't think it is fully understood what causes this but your overrun theory is as good any

My guess is that the previous programme on 5* (Sarah Connor) that I recorded also, overran by 1 or 2 minutres which caused this message?
Yes that sounds plausible to me. Were there any other recordings taking place at the same time? If you are watching something else when this sort of conflict occurs, a dialog appears on screen allowing you to select which recordings should have priority.

It might have done but I can't remember.

I've see this dialog box before and it always makes me jump off the couch in panic. My mind then goes blank and I press "back" as if a bomb is about to go off! :frantic:

... If you are watching something else when this sort of conflict occurs, a dialog appears on screen allowing you to select which recordings should have priority.

I am confused by this dialog but can't find any information on how to handle it. (I found this thread while searching and it seems as good a place as any to ask.) As it only appears when we are watching it is always inconvenient, so gets dismissed asap and I don't have a chance to really consider it and have a play. And I think it self dismisses after not very long anyway, or is that just when the conflict ends naturally?

When it pops up there are (so far) three programmes listed with the top two selected, which I think are the two currently recording ones. The last is probably the recording waiting to begin. I tend to not want to intervene as I don't know what the current condition (finished the actual prog or not) of the current ones is, so usually hit the cancel. So far that seems to have been OK (On the 'late' recording we get the recording failed thing and maybe a bit of the beginning is lost, but all else is OK).
Will pressing OK without changing anything will do the same as I think that is the default selection?
Presumably selecting the third prog and deselecting one of the others and then pressing OK will stop the deselected recording and start the waiting one.

Any advice welcomed.

And I think it self dismisses after not very long anyway, or is that just when the conflict ends naturally?
Yes fairly quickly.
Presumably selecting the third prog and deselecting one of the others and then pressing OK will stop the deselected recording and start the waiting one.
It is tricky to make a decision in the relatively short time available. I tend to look if one of the programs currently recording is on a commercial channel and due to end in a minute or so. If that is the case then I tend to deselect the commercial program (on the basis that it is probably only recording the adverts between programs) and select the new recording.

Various messages pop up asking the user to make a decision about recording, here are a few notes :-
1) The live Buffer is regarded as a recording by the Humax because it is writing to the hard disk

2) The Humax won't allow the same channel to be recorded twice at the same time, so if you are watching in chase-play mode (Pause followed by play), then a message will be displayed when a following programme is to be recorded, in this case the choices are, allow the recording to take place which will stop the chase-play and lose the end of the current programme or continue to watch the chase-play, in which case the recording will be cancelled, not delayed but cancelled

3) When a 3 way choice is displayed, 2 of the 3 are already selected and if no change is made the Humax will automatically record (or continue to record) these 2, when a tuner becomes free the third programme will then be recorded, with usually a few Seconds / Minutes missing

I think its good that the hummy prioritises the earlier recordings - much better to miss the start of a program rather than the end.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Back