recording failed lack of signal

zulu17

Sometimes I have recordings marked with the message.

recording failed lack of signal

It a low percentage of the recordings (2 to 4%) - no obvious pattern to any particular channel although higher incidence on the non BT channels - virtually all my recordings are from HD channels and are mostly AR mode recordings.

Seems obvious what the message should mean yet there is no noticeable break in recording.

My thoughts are that maybe it is something occuring at the very start or end of the scheduled recording rather than any aerial or transmitting issue.

Has anyone experienced anything similar ?

I've had that message fairly regularly over the past two years or so, only on the HD channels, but have had no recording failures. However, occasionally after seeing the message and about 2/3 mins into the recording there is fleeting pixellation but then carries on as normal.
After this pixellation I sometimes get the impression that the picture definition improves, but that could be my imagination.

I think it all depends on the status of the broadcast the instant the recording is due to start. We get "unable to track" pseudo-failures when there's a timing issue, and probably a "lack of signal" pseudo-failure if the signal is a bit iffy that moment. zulu17, do you get pixellations during the recording?

No pixellations during recording -that I recall - I suppose it could be due to a temporary signal strength or quality drop that doesn't affect picture display or sound - ie if it dips below some threshold level.

Yes aware of the the unable to track when a program gets pulled from the schedule or is significantly delayed due to overrunning ptrvious programs.

Yes, I've had this occur on BBC HD. Just affected one programme so far on a channel that is usually fine. Quite a lot of pixellation and stutters - several complete stops. Weirdest of all it caused Raymond Blanc to speak in a strange accent which after 30 odd years here can't be right.
It does seem more like a signal quality issue - when I've had the "unable to track" error nothing gets recorded at all.

Hi BH

I've never seen an "unable to track" message - where you just paraphrasing or does it have a specific meaning that you know of?

Well, I can't remember the exact wording, but it accompanies the lightning strike icon when you hit "play" - something like "Recording failed, unable to track. Shall I play the file anyway?" (and it usually plays fine). I thought that was the timing problem you have mentioned in the other topic.

Well, I can't remember the exact wording, but it accompanies the lightning strike icon when you hit "play" - something like "Recording failed, unable to track. Shall I play the file anyway?" (and it usually plays fine).
I would expect that "Recording failed, unable to track" would be a zero length recording. Failures that are usually OK but may be missing a bit are "Recording failed, lack of signal" and "Recording failed, due to higher priority recording".

I would expect that "Recording failed, unable to track" would be a zero length recording. Failures that are usually OK but may be missing a bit are "Recording failed, lack of signal" and "Recording failed, due to higher priority recording".

I have had the 'recording failed, unable to track, play anyway?' with recording the first program of the day on BBC3 or 4, where they are showing the 'this is BBC3/4' page before the broadcasting starts, and using padding. Iy seems the these pages aren't treated as program, so the Hummy thinks something is wrong.

Back