Recording Failed: Loss Of Power (no apparent reason)

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I've been away for a few days, and (unusually) I left my Humii in standby to minimise risk of crashing. All recordings (29 - mostly routine to be expired unwatched) appear to have been made successfully except one (on HD-FOX), which reports loss of power.

I suppose there could have been a mains glitch (I don't have any mains-driven clocks which would be flashing if that were the case), but critically another unit was recording spanning the same time... and that recording was successful.

Before anyone asks: I don't use dedup.

Can anyone think of a means to diagnosis, or do I have to put this down as "one of those things"?

You say the recording failed because of loss of power. What you didn't say is whether none, some or all of the recording actually completed.
Although it might be completely irrelevant to a HD-FOX, I've had recordings say this on other Humax devices. The recording has completed but there have been one or more glitches. If I record the same programme on two Humaxes the fault may appear on one but not the other. I haven't determined the exact cause, but more often than not the problem occurs on a DVB-T2 mux. I now have an attenuator in the aerial lead and this has dramatically reduced (but not eliminated) the occurance of the problem.

"loss of power" just means that the recording was interrupted, as would occur if the HD (say the Humax STB blob) crashed during the recording, so that the recording (longer than 30s) was never marked as complete. No other failure reason would be appropriate for this. It doesn't imply a power cut.

Perhaps fix-disk* and/or System Flush are indicated?

* by which I meant (obvs) carrying out the operations of fix-disk manually, at least until my, or someone else's, HD version is ready.

Last edited:
What does that mean?
w - Show who is logged on and what they are doing.
w displays information about the users currently on the machine, and their processes.
The header shows, in this order, the current time, how long the system
has been running, how many users are currently logged on, and the system load
averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes.
I tried it on the command line but got an exception.
What exception? I've never known it to fail.

Presumably I don't have the right things installed:
Code:
Humax HD-Fox T2 (HDFOX3) 1.03.02/3.13                                                                                 

To return to the menu, type: exit                                                                                     

HDFOX3# w                                                                                                             
/bin/sh: w: not found                                                                                                 
HDFOX3#

procps contains w and is a dependency of sysmon which I might have expected you'd have installed.
And that's not an exception - it's just an error message.

But, in this context, the word 'error' is generally far more readily understood by us mere peasants than 'exception'. :eek:

Not a lot of point on an HD-FOX
Why not? What's pointless about it?
what is an exception but an error message (at the user interface)?
All exceptions are error messages, but not all error messages are exceptions.
I would class an exception as something that causes an uncontrolled termination (a crash if you like) rather than a controlled termination.

But, in this context, the word 'error' is generally far more readily understood by us mere peasants than 'exception'. :eek:
Certainly "error message" would describe what BH reported.
I would class an exception as something that causes an uncontrolled termination (a crash if you like) rather than a controlled termination.
A competent programmer might be able to formulate a recovery from an exception that the user may not even see. Hence the use
of try-catch in some languages. When all else fails, inform the user (an error message displayed at the UI) and crap out (dis)gracefully.
If you catch the exception you could have a controlled termination. If you don't catch it - anything could happen.

What is there for sysmon to monitor? No fan, no HDD...
CPU and Network. And if you have the WebIf then you have an HDD of some sort. And you stated you were using it for recordings, so you obviously have a reasonable sized disk, which of course has SMART monitoring and a temperature sensor in all probability - just like an HDR.
Sysmon has nothing to do with fan monitoring directly, on the either the HDR or HD units, so is irrelevant for the purpose of this discussion.

Sysmon has as much use on an HD as on an HDR therefore, which is why I queried its previous non-availability, and it got modified accordingly.

Back