Recording from Stream

quarkrad

I've had a search but not entering the right words. I would like to record an incoming stream - specifically a program from BBC iPlayer. I have the basic custom firmware installed but nothing extra. Do I need to install another pieces of software and what do I actually do? Thanks.

You need to get your box to download the programme, either by watching it in iPlayer or by starting to watch it and pressing pause until it is completely downloaded.

You then go to the web interface on your Humax that the custom firmware provides and go into the folder that you want to store the stream in, then click on the Save Streamed Content i.e. iPlayer/Youtube button and you'll be prompted for a filename to use. If you give it a few seconds it will also show you details about the stream, the key one being the duration. The next version of the web interface will improve things here so that it's easier to see if the stream is complete.

The program I accidently deleted last night is now recorded and sitting in folder - many thanks. I won't be sent out to stand in the rain tonight - hopefully!

The program I accidently deleted last night is now recorded and sitting in folder - many thanks. I won't be sent out to stand in the rain tonight - hopefully!

If you had undelete installed it would have been easier to resolve.

#justsaying :)

Saved my first YouTube video tonight, 1hr 720p documentary. Awesome function, shame it wasn't built into the YouTube frontend! Could something like that be modded? Blue bottom to save!!

Saved my first YouTube video tonight, 1hr 720p documentary. Awesome function, shame it wasn't built into the YouTube frontend! Could something like that be modded? Blue bottom to save!!
Blue bottom??? Is that taking a dump in the outside khazi in the depths of winter?

No doubt the blue button could be intercepted by ir and used to trigger a save from the streaming buffer, except 1. how would you decide what file name to save it as; and 2. that would happen every time the blue button was pressed (how would you then do Media >> Storage for example).

Yes well I was in a rush typing that one, 2nd baby is here so things are a bit hectic!

Any spare button would do whilst in the youtube browser and if it could be given a random incremental file name that can be renamed later manually.

I'm trying to make the point it would be very difficult to make the remote code interception state-aware. Any button you decided to dedicate to the function of triggering a WebIF "save last streamed" function would have to do that permanently, losing its original function.

Also, you would have to wait until the end of the stream before triggering it - you need to know that the complete content has been downloaded before saving it off (which you monitor in the WebIF by watching the file size incrementing).

If it is any use, it is possible to save the stream using the remote already, you have to add a symbolic link into My Video - see HERE (click).

Back