Recording from the EPG

fishphone

Can anyone confirm that the Padding settings applied in Menu/Settings/Preferences/Recording are actually applied to anything recorded directly from the EPG, as the last 3 or 4 programmes we have recorded from different channels have stopped recording before the actual end of the programme. I read somewhere that the signal to end a recording is sent out by the broadcaster and this cannot be changed. Also I had definitely increased the Padding times to 5 minutes before and after, but when I checked last night after the latest failure the settings were back to 1 minute. Do the OTA updates reset these when applied?

This is all becoming tedious now and we are slowly losing patience with our T2, having to go to BBC IPlayer / ITV Player etc to get the end of these programmes

The auto-padding settings apply to the programme start and end times according to the EPG data, and make the recording independent of the start and end flags. However, if you view the recording reservation via Guide >> Schedule (yellow) and then exit by clicking "OK", the reservation is converted to manual timing and no longer responds to EPG changes or auto-padding.

You should be OK with an end padding time set to 2 mins, unless the programme is running late or you are recording consecutive programmes on the same channel.

I don't know why you are having problems with the padding settings, I am not aware of an OTA update affecting them. A factory reset will though.

For more information see "Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know" (link below).

You should be OK with an end padding time set to 2 mins, unless the programme is running late or you are recording consecutive programmes on the same channel.

I thought the BBC schedules were approximate with up to a ** 3 ** minute 'overrun'.

I read about the 3 minute flexibility on the BBC site a few years ago. It also said up to 1 minute for 'early' starting, though last time I tried out the one-show which has a reputation for starting early, it was only on my second attempt that it started a bit more than a minute early.

I've tried 2 minutes end padding but this did cut slightly short some of my BBC Radio 3 recordings and so I had to go back to 3 minutes for end-padding on that channel.

I read about the 3 minute flexibility on the BBC site a few years ago. It also said up to 1 minute for 'early' starting, though last time I tried out the one-show which has a reputation for starting early, it was only on my second attempt that it started a bit more than a minute early.

I've tried 2 minutes end padding but this did cut slightly short some of my BBC Radio 3 recordings and so I had to go back to 3 minutes for end-padding on that channel.

The One Show starts early because the local news on the BBC stops anywhere between 18:55 and 18:57, with The One Show starting approx a minute after that.

I have my padding set to +/-5 mins, for exactly this reason, otherwise one misses the start of The One Show (I record it on BBC1 HD, so I get the lead in padded as the news is recorded on SD).

Back