Recording from VHS VCR

Voyager

A question before I tosh over a pile of boxes in the attic to retrieve my VHS VCR.

Will I be able to use the T2 to copy those of my old VHS tapes that I wish to preserve?
I notice that it has legacy SCART sockets as does the VCR but the T2 user guide makes no mention of recording from external sources, only TV broadcasts.

My T2 is running the customized firmware loaded four years or so ago, hence posting here.

Many thanks.

Admin edit: Thread moved here from Custom Firmware forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, no, and thrice no. The SCART is an output only. The HDR-FOX (in common with the vast majority of digital TV receivers/recorders) simply copies the digital broadcast stream to disk, and then replays it feeding the same digital data into the same deciders to create a TV output. There is no hardware support for converting an analogue TV signal (as would be output from a VCR, or old analogue broadcast TV) into digital, or for accepting a digital input from anywhere other than a digital TV aerial come to that.

If you want to transfer VCR footage to digital storage, there are PC peripherals that will do it for you, or many High Street photo shops can convert to DVD for a small charge.

Thank you for such a fast reply, Black Hole even though unfortunately it is to confirm that my idea is dead.
A real shame as my Panasonic Freeview PVR whose demise led to me purchasing the T2 allowed copying of a VHS VCR stream without problem.

A real shame as my Panasonic Freeview PVR whose demise led to me purchasing the T2 allowed copying of a VHS VCR stream without problem.
The HDR-FOX T2 was aimed at the post DSO (Digital Switch Over) world. Your Panasonic would have been from a world that had to cope pre DSO when all digital recorders had to be capable of analogue to digital conversion.

DVD recorders include a analogue to digital converter and a real time mpeg2 encoder. They need these because they recode content giving you different quality recording capability. A proper pvr does not need these because it simply saves the digital data from the broadcast directly to it's hard disk. Unlike a DVDR pvr recordings are identical to the original broadcast.

Back