Recording has failed due to loss of power

EEPhil

Number 28
I've just had five recording failures due to loss of power when there was no power loss. I'd forgotten that I'd set a series link for Mission Impossible on Legend, so didn't notice the missing recording indication from the LEDs. There was no power interruption, the Aura managed to serve some recordings during this time. When I brought the Aura out of standby it immediately started recording. I checked the recordings list and spotted the failed recordings.

Anyone else had similar problems? Any known solutions?

I've just had five recording failures due to loss of power when there was no power loss. I'd forgotten that I'd set a series link for Mission Impossible on Legend, so didn't notice the missing recording indication from the LEDs. There was no power interruption, the Aura managed to serve some recordings during this time. When I brought the Aura out of standby it immediately started recording. I checked the recordings list and spotted the failed recordings.
Do you use deep standby? If so try just using normal standby.

Yes EEPhil, I've had failed recordings on BBC1 Escape to the country and Dogs behaving very badly on Channel 5 like you failures due to loss of power where there was no such thing. Getting really fed up of this box now.

On the HDR T2 and I expect most/all other models the status is set to 'Loss of Power' as soon as recording starts just in case there is a power cut and it only gets set to Vaild at normal recording end. So any failure before recording end can show as 'Loss of power' even if the there hasn't been a power outage.

What the actual failure was is a different matter - how much of the recording was actually recorded?

I had two failures on Saturday - a Sherlock Holmes film and Dixon of Dock Green - both on TPTV. Neither of them recorded, or were playable. The 'channel icon' in front of the scheduled to record programme - for both of the above - was completely blank.

The box is usually in deep sleep mode, but I noticed that on Saturday evening, it seemed persistently to be in red-standby.
When I switched it on, I discovered that it had also conveniently forgotten the Wi-Fi! What's that all about?

I did a Reset - and tuned the channels in... again.

I am wondering whether the EPG suddenly de-populates itself at random times causing the failed recordings.
Where is the Freeview over-the-air EPG stored? Is it in memory cache, or is it saved to disk?

On the HDR T2 and I expect most/all other models the status is set to 'Loss of Power' as soon as recording starts just in case there is a power cut and it only gets set to Vaild at normal recording end. So any failure before recording end can show as 'Loss of power' even if the there hasn't been a power outage.
Interesting. I imagine that is more a case of "not marked as successful, but no other specific failure logged so report power fail". Neat.

I had two failures on Saturday - a Sherlock Holmes film and Dixon of Dock Green - both on TPTV. Neither of them recorded, or were playable. The 'channel icon' in front of the scheduled to record programme - for both of the above - was completely blank.

The box is usually in deep sleep mode, but I noticed that on Saturday evening, it seemed persistently to be in red-standby.
When I switched it on, I discovered that it had also conveniently forgotten the Wi-Fi! What's that all about?

I did a Reset - and tuned the channels in... again.

I am wondering whether the EPG suddenly de-populates itself at random times causing the failed recordings.
Where is the Freeview over-the-air EPG stored? Is it in memory cache, or is it saved to disk?

Wow. Reminder here not to buy an Aura.

Do you use deep standby? If so try just using normal standby.
No, just normal standby.

I'm going to see what happens with a daily "reminder" at 05:30 BBC 1 to power on and populated the EPG. (I cannot find a power on timer as used on previous models). Pity I can't work out how to get it to reboot daily - automatically, that is, rather than me remembering. May also have to use previous models as a backup. :(
Wow. Reminder here not to buy an Aura.
Quite! It does seem that every Humax model is bug infested.

Over the couple of years we've had our Aura there's been the odd recording with a warning of some sort, but always playable. Never seen a loss of power flag though.
I'd say it's been more reliable than the FOXs, though that's probably because incidences of clashes are far fewer with the extra recording channels available.

.... Pity I can't work out how to get it to reboot daily - automatically, that is, rather than me remembering. May also have to use previous models as a backup. :(
As you say, on something like the old HDR Fox T2 there are settings for that in preferences/time/power on timer and preferences/time/power off timer. If that isn't offered on the Aura, can you install a suitable app that'll perform that function - scheduled power on/off?

If that isn't offered on the Aura, can you install a suitable app that'll perform that function - scheduled power on/off?
Without double checking, I can't remember if a timed power down is available. A shutdown after 3 hours(?) with no interaction is possible. A daily "reminder" does the equivalent of a scheduled power on.
An "orderly manner" shouldn't matter too much, especially if it is in standby at the time.
The disk can still be accessed in normal standby, certainly by DLNA media and maybe by FTP. Unlikely, but possible.

No, just normal standby.

I'm going to see what happens with a daily "reminder" at 05:30 BBC 1 to power on and populated the EPG. (I cannot find a power on timer as used on previous models). Pity I can't work out how to get it to reboot daily - automatically, that is, rather than me remembering. May also have to use previous models as a backup. :(

Quite! It does seem that every Humax model is bug infested.
I use deep standby, but have it set to go into deep standby at 23:30pm and come out at 15:30pm every day.

When I press the the standby button it turns on the TV and Home cinema and I get a picture within a few seconds. Never had problem with it not coming out of deep standby so far and I purchased it about 3 months after release.

Bit more difficult for me. Various recordings set for middle of the night (series and films on TPTV or things on Drama - in the hope the end is not squashed or talked over)

Bit more difficult for me. Various recordings set for middle of the night (series and films on TPTV or things on Drama - in the hope the end is not squashed or talked over)
The Aura will still wake up and record them, it just brings itself out of deep standby 15 minutes before I believe. I sometimes set late night programs and they record fine.

The Aura will still wake up and record them, it just brings itself out of deep standby 15 minutes before I believe. I sometimes set late night programs and they record fine.
I was, in part, referring to the idea of rebooting the box on a timer. (Although that wasn't obvious!) That could create merry hell with a scheduled recording. I experimented with deep standby once, before the recent problem, and the recording was successful.

Back