Recording having the last few minutes chopped off/not recorded

fixit9660

I've noticed that recently my T2 has been chopping off the last few minutes of recordings. I've got the Start and End Padding set to maximum. Any ideas please? I running 1.03.13 firmware.

I've noticed that recently my T2 has been chopping off the last few minutes of recordings. I've got the Start and End Padding set to maximum. Any ideas please? I running 1.03.13 firmware.
Can you give us examples of the programs that have been chopped please?

The most recent was the film "21 Bridges". The trouble is I deleted it after I'd finished watching and don't have any of the recording details. I'm not a lot of use so far.... 🙄

If these are recordings made during the aftermath of QE2's demise or very recently during world cup then there's a good chance programmes were shunted back further than padding could cover.

If it's happening frequently outside of those events or channels then you might be better using AR. It's generally pretty good these days, though we've still had the odd clipped end.

The most recent was the film "21 Bridges". The trouble is I deleted it after I'd finished watching and don't have any of the recording details. I'm not a lot of use so far.... 🙄
"21 Bridges" was broadcast on BBC ONE, and BBC ONE HD, on Saturday 11th June 2022. Times vary by country.
Also on BBC THREE, and BBC THREE HD, Tuesday 21:10 14th June 2022.

you might be better using AR. It's generally pretty good these days, though we've still had the odd clipped end.
I agree; I suggest the OP might want to experiment with accurate recording (Start and End padding zero). Neither padding nor accurate recording are perfect but for me, accurate recording works well enough.

I've found AR on later Humaxes (no CF) doesn't work well on the minor channels. The Humax will start and end at the exact times in the timer for those channels. Of course, the channels themselves don't always run to time and bits of the recorded programme go AWOL. Therefore I don't use AR and sometimes when programmes move around the schedule I'm stuffed.
When padding, if the combination of timers and available tuners conflict one recording may stop before the end of the padding and another start "late".
If you just record the main channels, or have access to CF, AR should be the best bet. Although, there have been some problems recently (was it C4?).

I've found AR on later Humaxes (no CF) doesn't work well on the minor channels. The Humax will start and end at the exact times in the timer for those channels.
Most of the minor channels do not supply AR. The only minor channels that I can identify that supply AR on Chanel 5's lesser watched channels.

When padding, if the combination of timers and available tuners conflict one recording may stop before the end of the padding and another start "late".
If you just record the main channels, or have access to CF, AR should be the best bet.
fixit9660 hasn't got CF installed.

@fixit9660
See https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Multi-mode_Recording for what you are missing!
See https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/hd-hdr-fox-t2-customised-firmware.28/ for discussions on CF and also its pinned threads which contain some essential introduction links for CF.

there have been some problems recently (was it C4?).
Yes, but the only programme reported by fixit9660 is from 5 months ago and from one of the BBC ONE or BBC THREE channels.

I've downloaded the Custom Firmware from the wiki webpage (some of the Supporting Files links don't work?), and I understand the installation process. What program recording advantage(s) doessthe CF give over the Humax offering please?
I've read the webpage and it seems that it's just the ability to changes individual recording from AR/Padding instead of having a blanket approach; is this correct?
Does the firmware ever come back and Warn you that recordings may overlap?

What program recording advantage(s) doessthe CF give over the Humax offering please?
The ability to automatically remove adverts on commercial stations and remote scheduling of recordings.
I've read the webpage and it seems that it's just the ability to changes individual recording from AR/Padding instead of having a blanket approach; is this correct?
Correct.
You will get warnings about recordings that overlap when setting the recording; somebody may well correct me but but I think the padding will be ignored when doing this check.

Last edited:
Pretty much, but that provides the flexibility to choose which services default to AR and which to padding. Otherwise, if you record a service which does not provide AR using AR, you have padding=0. With the multimode package installed, by configuring the Humax settings for AR (the preferred method) and using multimode to configure exceptions as auto-padding, you can even choose how much padding on an individual basis.

For the AR vs Auto-Padding debate, see comments in Things Every... (as linked in my previous post).

I'm not sure about active warnings, but the EPG display available through the CF/WebIF highlights conflicts. There might be an active mechanism available through the RS (if you select the appropriate options).

Summaries of "what have the Romans CF ever done for us?" are available here: Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click) or in the Wiki.

I don't know about other models, but the HDR-FOX keeps the end padding at the cost of the start of another programme, when there is a tuner conflict. (Update: see below)

Last edited:
I don't know about other models, but the HDR-FOX keeps the end padding at the cost of the start of another programme, when there is a tuner conflict
It's a while since I checked but I don't think this happens with either the 2000T or the 5000T. My rusty memory recalls a changeover somewhere in the middle. But that does require checking!!

the HDR-FOX keeps the end padding at the cost of the start of another programme, when there is a tuner conflict.
I haven't expressed that clearly enough.

Where the end padding of one recording overlaps the start padding of another, end padding is preferred over start padding BUT NOT the programme itself. Thus, if the nominal start time of the second recording is within end padding of a conflicting recording, the new programme will start to record at its nominal time (which might be different from its actual start time), and the end padding of the previous recording is terminated early.

When the nominal end time of the previous recording overlaps the nominal start time of the next recording, the previous recording takes priority over the next recording and terminates at its nominal end time (which might not be its actual end... particularly on commercial channels because the nominal end time of a programme may include the adverts). The next recording (if conflicting) then starts later than its nominal start time.

For HDR-FOX, a "tuner conflict" isn't so much that as a "recording slot conflict". There are only two slots available for concurrent recordings regardless of whether the services to be recorded could come from one tuner, and if the consecutive recordings are from one service then they cannot be allocated to different slots. Consequently consecutive recordings always transition at the nominal time (discarding end and start padding). For HD-FOX there is only one recording slot.

AR (Accurate Recording) makes the "nominal time" responsive to the broadcast programme ID data, but without the additional benefit of padding (start padding would be impossible, but end padding could be nice). I guess the ideal would be a hybrid system where a recording starts at whichever is the earlier of <nominal minus start padding> or <AR>, and ends at the later of <nominal plus end padding> or <AR>.

Full SP (as linked from Things Every...): http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/accurate-recording-ar-padding-and-lost-series-links.858/

Back