Recording on Humax FreeSat and Youview

Siamak

Hi every one,

I have a question for you, first I have to describe the situation:

I have Humax YouView with 500 Gb of Internal Hard Drive in England and I have Humax FreeSat in France with 500Gb External (USB) Hard Drive, I record programmes on both which I can watch later, here come the question, would the recordings be compatible with one another, i.e. the YouView recordings can be watched on the Freesat and vice versa?

I would really appreciate your answer or any other suggestions that may help the situation, many thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Siamak

Take a read through the existing discussions (there is also a search box at top right). I'm sure what you want has already been discussed.

Thanks but as a newbie I have no idea where to look.

I have tried to transfer files to my PC, the file format on the FreeSat is .hts, no one can read it, I can understand that could be due to the Copy Right, have no problem with that.

I thought transferring files from one to another will do the job, I have no idea at the moment what the file format is on the YouView, will know shortly when back in Blighty.

Cheers

Siamak

You can't export recordings from a Youview box as you can with the Foxsat-hdr. To play back non native content on the Foxsat requires the use of Raydons AV2HDR to create the required .nts and .hmt sidecar files. The best Humax Freeview box to do this is the HDR-FOX-T2 with the custom firmware installed. You can though use Foxy on the current 1800/2000T to export HD and SD files to USB. To use HD files on the Foxsat you will have to replace the aac audio track with an ac3 one.

I have Humax YouView with 500 Gb of Internal Hard Drive in England and I have Humax FreeSat in France with 500Gb External (USB) Hard Drive, I record programmes on both which I can watch later, here come the question, would the recordings be compatible with one another, i.e. the YouView recordings can be watched on the Freesat and vice versa?
From your initial question and what you are asking, and not asking, and not said, I suspect you haven't begun to think your question through for yourself.

If you extract the recording and can't play them using something like VLC or MPHC on a PC then they won't play on anything else.
You are not helping yourself very much by not clearly stating the model you have in France. You mention that your 'freesat' in France has an external drive - if the 'freesat' box it is an HB-1000S recordings are encrypted and are only playable by the HB-1000S that recorded them.

You don't say how you have extracted the youview recordings, but are already asking about compatibility! As all youview HD recordings are on an encrypted partition have you cracked the encryption? To extract the SD recordings you will either need to remove the hard drive each time to extract the recordings or you could consider modifying the youview box so that the SATA cable comes out of the box and is connected to an esata/esata cable with the other end of the esata/esata cable going back into the box using a second esata/sata cable. The recordings are held on an XFS partition and so you will need to be OK accessing that on a computer.

Regarding going the other way with your mystery box's recordings playing on the youview box have you managed to get anything other than youview's own recordings to play on the youview box? No one has ever reported how to easily, and practically, do that on a youview box.

What you are trying to do has a few different hurdles to surmount. I suggest the same as Black Hole. It won't be a question of a specific place to look but on a lot of general reading to get up to speed so that you can come up with a solution, or a tentative solution to confirm or discuss, and hopefully report back on how you achieved it and what you would have done differently if starting again.

Or are you just asking about putting the two units on the same local network and using DLNA?

Just twigged, the French box must be a HB1000S, as it's the only Humax freesat box that can record to usb. You can't export recordings from a G2 Freesat box, It will though play back recordings from a HDR FOX T2 and 1800/2000T provided they aren't encrypted of course.

Last edited:
Oh Dear,

Just a question, we don't need to get wound up guys, just forget the question, won't happen again.

Oh Dear,

Just a question, we don't need to get wound up guys, just forget the question, won't happen again.
You're fine - but it gives a good impression if people read what's already here rather than just jump in with a question as if nobody's asked it before.

We're not "wound up" - or at least I'm not, I'm just trying to introduce a forum newcomer (to any forum?) to proper forum etiquette. Otherwise, you would never know, would you! (And I can assure you, you would get a much rougher ride on some other forums I could mention.)

Back