Recording on the HD

osmyth

I have a usb stick formatted to ext2 hosting the custom firmware. I also have my HDR mounted to the HD and that works fine. I don't have a usb hard drive attached.
I was expecting to be able to record to the HD usb stick, but when I press record I just get a blue invalid symbol in the top right of the screen. The same happens in the Guide and if I try a future program the 'Record the whole programme' is greyed out.
Is it not possible to record to an ext2 drive?
Thanks.

The box needs to reserve at least 20 GB before it will allow recording, so the external storage needs to be over this size. I don't know if it is possible to record to an ext2 formatted device.

Thanks Brian. Will have to think about an external hard drive. Assume it needs to be mains powered to work properly/efficiently or do the usb powered ones work ok?

I don't think the EXT2 format is a problem, I've seen it reported that users can record to USB HDD's but not USB flash, however that may be, as you say, due to size rather than type of drive, if does mean you would have to have at least a 32GB USB stick

I bought a 16Gb usb stick to host the CF and record any ad hoc things!
So before I buy a 32Gb usb stick, can anyone confirm that it will definitely work?
Thanks.

Thanks Brian. Will have to think about an external hard drive. Assume it needs to be mains powered to work properly/efficiently or do the usb powered ones work ok?
Mine is USB powered and works fine (old 2.5" 100GB drive). Any 3.5" drive will most likely need mains power though.

My understanding is:
1) HDD must be 80GB or greater for the HD-FOX-T2 to format for recording use.
2) The remote scheduling statistics posted on myhumax included a drive that was less than 60GB (I think it was 50GB);
3) My HD-FOX-T2 will not format USB pen drives, even USB pen drives of size 128GB;
4) If you self format a drive for the HD-FOX-T2 to record to then you must give it a label of the same name as one that the HD-FOX-T2 has already formatted; I.e. first you format a HDD >=80GB using the HD-FOX-T2 then you create an imatation of that drve on the smaller drive that you intend to use
5) Using an unpowered hub I have connected a 1TB HDD and a USB pen drove and then got the HD-FOX-T2 to copy a file from the HDD to the pen drive. However playing back that file while recording to the HDD was not successfull.

2) The remote scheduling statistics posted on myhumax included a drive that was less than 60GB (I think it was 50GB);

There's one which is 55GB.

4) If you self format a drive for the HD-FOX-T2 to record to then you must give it a label of the same name as one that the HD-FOX-T2 has already formatted; I.e. first you format a HDD >=80GB using the HD-FOX-T2 then you create an imatation of that drve on the smaller drive that you intend to use

It's actually the drive UUID that's stored by the Humax. You can change the stored UUID using the assignhd diagnostic rather than using a different drive initially.

More faff!
I have connected the old hdd I was using to test the CF. I reformatted and made the label drive1. I believe this is the same as the the label that is used in the ext2 formatting process - can anyone confirm? http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hd-fox-and-custom-software-usb-stick-issue.836/page-2#post-10126
So if I buy a 32Gb usb stick, then the ext2 formatting process will hopefully end in a state where it is usable.
Thanks.

So if I buy a 32Gb usb stick, then the ext2 formatting process will hopefully end in a state where it is usable.

As far as I know nobody has succeeded in doing this, so consider whether you want to spend money on a big UPD instead of £35 on a small portable drive. If you do try the UPD route you will be lauded if it works, but don't say we didn't tell you if it doesn't.

Update: there has been reported success with a 32GB UPD. See HERE (click).

External drives labelled "portable" do not need additional power, but make sure it is not a USB3 drive.

Update: more info HERE (click).

Indeed, I use a usb3 1TB drive with a seperate power supply switched by a PC power saving usb controlled power strip. The drive and power strip are connected by an unpowered usb hub. Works 100%, connecting the drive directly to a PC with EXT2FSD allows quick back up of the contents.

BH, when I bought my usb3 1TB it was only a few pounds more than a comparable usb2 1TB and should I have use it on a PC the faster PC speed swung it. My HD-FOX-T2 has not complained.When I bought it for my HD-FOX-T2 (to replace an 80GB) they were a few posts about not being sure if the HD-FOX-T2 had the correct drivers but I cannot remember anyone reporting a failure in a USB3 HDD bveing recognised and used like a USB2.

The reason I said not USB3 is because there was a query about a drive being USB powered. The USB3 specification permits a device to draw more current from the port than USB2 did, so one could not be sure that a line-powered USB3 drive (even used in USB2 mode) would not overload the Humax. It would be necessary to power it externally. If yours doesn't you got lucky.

Update: more info HERE (click).

As far as I know nobody has succeeded in doing this, so consider whether you want to spend money on a big UPD instead of £35 on a small portable drive. If you do try the UPD route you will be lauded if it works, but don't say we didn't tell you if it doesn't.

External drives labelled "portable" do not need additional power, but make sure it is not a USB3 drive.

Have managed to get an old usb drive from my wife's work, and that seems to be working fine. So, won't be going down the usb stick route i'm afraid.

Back