recording to usb hard drive

sohlinux

How can I make new programs record directly to the USB drive? not to the internal drive which is full.

thanks

OK how can I move files, if I use the move/copy files it only copies the files it doesnt move them. so I have to delete after the copy.

also if I series link record to the main hard drive and it gets full so I move folders to the usb drive how I can I make it continue to record in the same folder on the usb drive? otherwise I end up with 2 folders on 2 drives of the same series but each with different programs.

OK how can I move files, if I use the move/copy files it only copies the files it doesnt move them. so I have to delete after the copy.
Just copy the files to your USB HDD, then delete the originals from your internal HDD, it couldn't be much simpler.
also if I series link record to the main hard drive and it gets full so I move folders to the usb drive how I can I make it continue to record in the same folder on the usb drive? otherwise I end up with 2 folders on 2 drives of the same series but each with different programs.
The Humax will create a new folder on your internal HDD to place any further series episodes into. All you have to do is copy these to the appropriate folder on your USB HDD, and delete them from your internal HDD.

I knew how to copy and delete with the humax remote but just wondered if there was a way of moving files without copy and delete, in the end I figured out mv file* /media/drive1/whatever from the command line.

As for recording directly to the usb drive, I did notice when I moved a directory which was series linked to the usb drive it now starts to record into that directory so all is fine now. im not sure why it works now because I am sure when I tried it before it created a new directory on the internal drive.

You must have seriesfiler installed. The HDR-FOX does not and will not record to an external drive, but once the recording is complete seriesfiler looks for somewhere with a matching folder name to move it to.

I think you must also have the external drive mounted into My Video using mvdisks to make this work.

I knew how to copy and delete with the humax remote but just wondered if there was a way of moving files without copy and delete, in the end I figured out mv file* /media/drive1/whatever from the command line.
So you are using the custom firmware. Please post questions related to the custom firmware in the appropriate section of the Forum.

This is the method I use to archive stuff It's just a process I follow to avoid getting myself confused:
1 create a folder on the Humax - I called mine "!Move + Delete" (the "!" puts it at top of the list)
2 move/copy selected items to the new folder - it is the same drive, so it will move (indicated by the caption next to the red button icon) This is usually instant provided you are not already copying or deleting, when it get queued.
3 with all the files you want to "move" in the special folder select the files for each given destination using up/down or the red and green buttons
4 move/copy - if it is an external drive, it will be copy, and navigate to the desired folder.
5 when all the files have been copied, go into your new folder, select all (green button) and delete.

Back