Recording whilst watching delayed playback

socrates

A few days ago I was watching a programme which I had paused a couple of times so I was maybe 15 minutes behind. A message appeared saying that recording of another programme on the same channel was about to start and did I want to cancel the delayed playback. I didn't really but the message appeared to imply that if I didn't then the recording would be cancelled, which I certainly didn't want. So I missed the last 15 minutes of the one I was watching.

I can't honestly see why it should be necessary to choose between the delayed viewing and the recording - maybe that is not what the message meant. Does anyone know?

Sorry I can't remember the exact wording - it was a few evenings ago and wine had been taken. If no-one knows I'll experiment with something I'm happy to miss and report back.

Yes that is what it meant.

If you realise that a recording is soon to start on the channel you are watching then press the record button to record the watched programme. This is not perfect but at least it an improvement.
It is not perfect because:
(1) While the unwatched part of the buffer is being transferred to the new recording the screen will go back to the live display;
(2) The programme you are watching will stop recording at the scheduled time. It will not carry on recording if the programme overruns. You may miss the end. If you are not using Accurate Recording the missing end will appear at the start of the scheduled recording;
(3) If the programme for the scheduled recording starts early the beginning of that programme will appear at the end of the previous programme's recording.

Thanks Luke. It's disappointing and a little surprising - my old 2001 TIVO with a single analogue tuner would start the recording whilst you continued to watch the buffered programme without interruption. Even if the recording was on a different channel.
Assuming that the HDR also keeps the current buffer and recorded programmes in separate disk areas I can see no fundamental reason why it too could not have worked this way, it just wasn't thought of. It reminds me of the way my old Humax PVR 8000 behaved if you started watching a programme halfway through recording it - at the scheduled end time playback would stop and revert to live TV. You then had to restart the recording and scroll through to where it stopped! Now that really was annoying and thankfully fixed in the HDR.
Sometimes I'd happily settle for slightly fewer features but better thought out ones. That said the HDR is a very good box.

Socrates, just read your post and yes, this happens to me. The thing is, never use delayed tv before a scheduled record. Easier said than done !!! the option above is a workaround , but It's just struck me when the box comes up asking yes or no. if you answer no the box will cancel the forthcoming recording and carry on in delayed mode, you can continue to watch the delayed prog. When that programme finishes the box will continue in delayed mode and now start to show the programme you actually wanted to record. If you now press record, surely, the box will record the delayed buffer and record the program you initially wanted to record. Hope this is clear, I'll give it a try tonight to see if it works

Yes that will also work.
Also if you press record twice you will be able to ensure that the recording time is set to go beyond both the current and the next programme. You end up with a big recording with more than one programme with a title that just refers to one of them but sometimes that could be OK.

Thanks Luke, I must have done this by default in the past . I've a couple of recordings that have the name of the preceding programme , now I know why !!!:D

:confused: When I add padding to a manually started recording I normally get a recording with its title from the programme which was being broadcast at the end of the recording.

I can't honestly see why it should be necessary to choose between the delayed viewing and the recording
Like it or not, the HDR-FOX will not record the same service twice. If a scheduled recording is one, the TSR buffer is unavailable. Recording consecutive programmes with padding cancels the padding.
The thing is, never use delayed tv before a scheduled record. Easier said than done !!!
If you know there is a scheduled recording coming up on the same channel and you might want to delay, record the current programme and watch it in chase-play. The risk is that these "instant recordings" include no padding and you might miss the end of the programme.

The risk is that these "instant recordings" include no padding and you might miss the end of the programme.
But if you push record a second time (as stated in #5) it is possible to manually pad the end time to allow for any possible programme over run

But if you push record a second time (as stated in #5) it is possible to manually pad the end time to allow for any possible programme over run

But then you risk mucking up the following recordings, or at least getting the "This is an annoying dialogue disrupting your viewing to demand an answer to a question with a rather confusing set of options and buttons without even the good manners to have a simple 'Do what you think is right' button as the focussed default option so you can get back to your viewing asap" message. (Yes, it's the one bit of the FOX I really don't like - very poor interface.)

Problem for me is that time delayed viewings are not planned they are usually as a result of a phone call or some other interuption, which results in me putting the thing into pause ( I know, i know why don't you hit record instead, old dog new tricks etc ) . Then just as I'm getting to the end of the delayed program I get that message ( normally she's scheduled a record that I was unaware of ) What to do ? The obvious answer is to say no and stay on delayed playback . TBH if BBC1 had a +1 service this problem would more or less go away ( always iPlayer I suppose }

Then just as I'm getting to the end of the delayed program I get that message .........What to do ? The obvious answer is to say no and stay on delayed playback .

What about...... after pausing then rewinding the recording you are watching to the start using the [<<] button on the remote and then pressing the red record button on the remote. This will then record what ever has been watched since any previous channel switch. This might allow complete recording of your show until the switch to the schedule recording i.e. it retrieves up to the current/live broadcast.

I found this useful recently when a recorded programme stopped and the box went on to a channel with an interesting doccumentary. The documentary was half way through but I pressed pause then rewound it as far as I could and pressed the red button on the remote. It the stored the whole show.

As it was retrieving the delayed recording I pressed [pause] on the remote and it showed how much of the programme had been recorded along with the following warning:
"The function does not work while retrieving data for delayed recordings"

Back