Recovery of programs on demand!

IP Address 192.168.8.170
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway Addr 192.168.8.1
Primary DNS 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS 208.67.220.220

Perfect! There's nothing better than a counter-example to pop the mumbo jumbo.
Just checked and I changed the DNS on 6th so I really would hope / expect that if that is going to have any effect but needs time to settle down for some bizarre reason that a week would seem reasonable, so I'm prepared to accept needing to clear cookies again today, but after that ... hmm, well after that I may not be prepared to accept it as bypass / fix but have little choice other than keep doing it!

IP Address 192.168.8.170
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway Addr 192.168.8.1
Primary DNS 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS 208.67.220.220
Exactly what I would expect. The only somewhat unusual feature of your setup is that you are using mobile broadband. I doubt that continuing the experiment is going to change anything. Thanks for giving it a try.

Looks like I have 'No information' on catchup EPG again. I'm not sure if this duck is dead yet, but it doesn't seem to be quacking! I'll delete the cookies again (largely because I have no choice if I want to use catchup).
FWIW I have access to the players at the bottom of the home page(?), but once I select Players they aren't visible.

I thought I'd contact humax support. They came back very quickly with a few (previously tried) suggestions and then suggested a factory reset (keeping recordings) followed by setting it all up again but performing a manual tune on the channels in my mpx rather than allowing it to perform an auto-search.
Unsurprisingly that still gives me catchup which I had before the reset, but the box is noticably more responsive.
It'll be interesting to see if I still have problems or not in a few days. If this fixes it then I'm still going to be left guessing whether it was the reset which fixed it (probably by getting rid of a load of crud filling the box and slowing it down) or the manual tune.

For clarity, are you still using OpenDNS or have you gone back to the standard DNS?
I changed it to Quad9 for both primary and secondary DNS. (Not that I'm suggesting that made any difference. Quad9 was just my personal preference over OpenDNS.)

I changed it to Quad9 for both primary and secondary DNS. (Not that I'm suggesting that made any difference. Quad9 was just my personal preference over OpenDNS.)
Ok as I have said lots of times there is nothing special about OpenDNS other than it works for me and I suspect Quad9 will perform in a similar manner. So at the moment it isn't clear whether the improvement is solely due to the retune or a combination of retune and change of DNS. Leave it exactly as it is for a few weeks but if it continues to work it might be an interesting experiment to change the DNS back to pointing at the router.

it isn't clear whether the improvement is solely due to the retune or a combination of retune and change of DNS.
or even just the factory reset or any combination of the 3 (which I think makes 7 possible permutations?).
If I did change the DNS back to the router then:
  • it could provoke the problem again which would suggest the DNS is the problem - except we already know changing the DNS on its own made no difference
  • it could make no difference - which leaves 6 possible permutations to try
Just for clarification, it wasn't a simple (auto) retune I did, it was a manual retune making sure I only tuned the 6 multiplexes required.

Back