Red light then blue after standby

absolute

My foxsat has started to show the red light, no BOOT message or display on front screen when powering up.
After a few seconds an audible click is heard, then the screen on the box eventually powers off, red light still visible.
When pressing the standby button the light goes blue and it shows the BOOT message, then powers up as normal.

I've removed the hard-drive thinking that it may the drive not spinning up, but this makes no difference.
I've flashed with the latest firmware that I have on USB, no change.

When it does eventually power up the drive is fine and the box works as expected.

Has anyone else experience this?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with this, that post was very useful.
The layout on mine is slightly different, but still has the 4u7 capacitor, nothing visibly obvious, so I may try carefully replacing this first.

I've flashed with the latest firmware that I have on USB
A completely pointless statement, seeing as it conveys absolutely no useful information whatsoever to anybody else. Why can't you just be SPECIFIC?

A completely pointless statement, seeing as it conveys absolutely no useful information whatsoever to anybody else. Why can't you just be SPECIFIC?
Apologies.. this is what is installed:
Software version: HPRSFCI 1.00.21
Loader version: U.754
Update date: 27 July 2012

Tonight I've replaced the 4u7 with a new 4.7uf 63v electrolytic cap and re-tested.

Unfortunately I still get the red light from cold. So no change.

When I remove the harddrive and boot up I get blue light and BOOT message as expected (this is reproducible).

Tried 2.5" harddrive, which booted properly first time, then formatted, switched off, then subsequently goes to red on boot.

Can anyone recommend anything else to help fix this issue please?

I'm not saying changing a capacitor will definitely fix it, but there is a possibility you have not identified the right one. Did you track the circuit back from the HDD supply?

People who make a habit of resurrecting old electronics routinely replace all the capacitors.

I traced the power to the drive and found two further 100uf caps, which I also replaced.

Interestingly, when powering back up it booted fine and continued to do so multiple times. I kept the box on for half hour and re-tested, it powered up fine. I thought I had fixed it. Then I tried a couple more times and it went straight to red, no display, then eventually goes into standby. This continued to happen.

When it does go red I notice that if I use the controls on the panel it sometimes shows the station and menus on the display, still no output to the TV.

I left it overnight in a cold garage, the next day it boots up fine. I haven't done any further testing.

The inside of the case has brown heat marks, so don't know if the main CPU is overheating?

I'll try and gets some photos taken and uploaded.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like a heat problem, but not necessarily what you think. Cracks in solder joints or PCB traces can be in contact when it's cold and break contact when it's warm. Iffy components might be just sufficiently in-spec when their cold, but drift away when warm. Lots of reasons.

The CPU (SoC) is unlikely to overheat unless it is being asked to do too much (eg HDD access retries) or overloaded (external circuits gone out-of-spec), or if the OEM thermal management has been compromised (fan nor working, dust, blocked vents...).

Back