reformat time

john Clark

Hi
Have recently used humaxrw to retrieve the recordings from the hard drive so that I could re-format the drive. All appeared to go well and the recordings were successfully copied back to the hummy.
However all does not appear to have been successful as recording settings are still being corrupted.
I am in the process of repeating the exercise but it occurs to me that the actual formatting of the hard drive was almost instantaneous. Is this correct (?) as I cannot see how things like bad blocks etc could have been found and flagged within the time it took to reformat. Is there another step that I have missed?
Regards
John

However all does not appear to have been successful as recording settings are still being corrupted.
I am in the process of repeating the exercise but it occurs to me that the actual formatting of the hard drive was almost instantaneous. Is this correct (?) as I cannot see how things like bad blocks etc could have been found and flagged within the time it took to reformat. Is there another step that I have missed?
The format that the Humax carries out is the equivalent of what Microsoft call a quick format. It does no checking of the disk and simply writes a blank file system. Modern hard disks should handle bad blocks themselves and map them out and replace them with spares. Of course the problem comes when all the spares have been used. I would suggest either letting a PC do a full format of the disk and see if any bad sectors are reported (if they are the disk needs replacing) or using manufacturer diagnostic software; I favour Seagate Seatools for DOS that can be used from a bootable CD.

The format that the Humax carries out is the equivalent of what Microsoft call a quick format. It does no checking of the disk and simply writes a blank file system. Modern hard disks should handle bad blocks themselves and map them out and replace them with spares. Of course the problem comes when all the spares have been used. I would suggest either letting a PC do a full format of the disk and see if any bad sectors are reported (if they are the disk needs replacing) or using manufacturer diagnostic software; I favour Seagate Seatools for DOS that can be used from a bootable CD.
Thanks for this Martin,
I still had the files from the first attempt a few days ago so this time I only copied those recordings that had been made since then. I thinkthat this might have been a mistake as when I now copy back the files it tells me that the Record List does not exist and it does not copy over the .hre files (which I'm pretty sure it did the last time after I had copied the complete set of recordings to my hard drive). I have tried a number of things to try and recover the Record List (including swapping the backup file) but have not been successful.
I am now letting the copy back to the hummy run to completion and will then try to copy the *.hre files back.
(I am also looking for a replacement hard drive!!!!)
Any further comments you might have will be most welcome.
Many thanks
John

Back