Refreshing DLNA connections

bugrain

As this is my first post I'd like to mention my gratitude for everyone involved in the CF. Been reading this site for quite a while and it's testament to the quality of the goods that I've not needed to post 'till now. Good job, well done.

So, on to my query...

Short of powering down the HDR-FOX T2, is there anyway to force a refresh/rescan of a DLNA folder that you've already visited?

I've recently been copying stuff to my NAS to folders that have already been viewed by the Humax (which is usually left on) but they never appear in the list.

I think the problem is at the NAS end. DLNA does not use normal disk folder structures - instead when the client end requests the media content from the server, the server presents a sanitised version (in the case of the HDR-FOX DLNA server, we know it builds an index database and until any new content has been indexed it will not appear in the media list served to an external client). I think your problem is to persuade the NAS to update its DLNA index.

I think the problem is at the NAS end. DLNA does not use normal disk folder structures
I think your problem is to persuade the NAS to update its DLNA index.

Appreciate that DLNA clients are not just reading folders on the server, but the NAS is updating it's index really quickly. To confirm I did the following:
- Viewed a 'folder' on Humax and Android phone (using Bubble UPnP)
- Renamed a file on the NAS in that 'folder'
- Viewed the folder again on Humax and Android

In both cases, the update is not seen. But, on the phone, there is a 'reload' option and after selecting this the update appeared.

I did the same again but this time copied a new file. Again, Humax does not see any changes and on hitting 'reload' repeatedly on the phone the update appears in less then 5 seconds.

So I can only assume that both are caching the list, with the Bubble UPnP offering a refresh/reload option because of this. Maybe the cache has some sort of expiry time (on both) but it certainly does not seem to be relatively short on the Humax.

Back