Remote access to TWO HDR's (Not via RS)

Wallace

Traveler 34122
As you might have read, I now have two HDR's. One in daily use, the other recently bought as a spare. However, I cannot fight the lore of using both and retiring my Topfield 5810.

Both HDR's are set up the same, each having CF and identical packages installed. They are also registered with the Remote Server Service.

As well as RS, I have configured port forwarding on my router (SSL port 443 IIRC) so I can also access my 1st HDR via the Web in real-time. I would also like to access the 2nd HDR the same way.

I don't really want to open port 8080 as I feel that would not be secure, (well, as secure...)

Is what I am asking possible? If so, which port should/could I use?

I realise that in the scheme of things this is not really necessary, and it's not the be-all-and-end-all if it can't be done. But I do like to tinker!

You can add a second secure web port to the second HDR by editing the /mod/etc/mongoose.conf file.

Code:
listening_ports 80,443s

Just add ,444s to the end of that line and restart. Then you can forward port 444 on your router to the second HDR.

There isn't a right port for this. 444 is as good as anything as it's assigned to Simple Network Paging Protocol which I'm guessing you don't use on your network : )

Update:
All up and running, port 444 working fine so I can now access either/both HDR's from the Internet. Providing they are switch on of course!

Nice one! With a fall-back, if one fails to reboot on command the other provides a second chance. I've not gone so far as to play with remote access.

For information: In order to add a recording to the schedule via WebIF, it is necessary for the HDR-FOX to reboot at some stage prior to the recording time. There is a WebIF reboot command, but an HDR-FOX woken by power-on timer always fails to reboot, woken manually it occasionally fails to reboot - ie following a WebIF reboot command the HDR-FOX just drops to standby with no way to retrieve it except by manually turning it on (or a scheduled wake-up),

an HDR-FOX woken by power-on timer always fails to reboot
Yes, I've found this. More oddly is that it comes on again at the scheduled power-off time, does nothing (i.e. stays on) at the next power-on time, then reverts to normal behaviour at the next off time.

Thanks BH, I am aware of that problem. I primarily use RS Scheduling, but not as much as I could.

I now have two HDR's sat under my TV having decided to 'mothball' my Toppy. It may seem OTT to have two, but I will use the new one for SWMBO and the other for me!
SWMBO asks me to record things for her but then takes an age to get round to watching anything. For example, she wanted me to record Dancing on Ice 2010, which I did. That was 3 years ago and it's still on the HDD not watched. She will not let me delete it or anything else until she has done so. Fair enough I suppose, but you can see what I am up against! Currently the 1TB HDD has 300GB of space left.

It took me a while to copy all the recordings off my Toppy to my PC, convert the .rec files to .ts files then copy them to my new HDR. I found VideoReDo very useful for this.
The only downside I have found is that the EPG data for the recordings has been lost in the transfer. Not a major issue though.

I have also programmed my Harmony 785 for both HDR's using Mode 1 & 2 without a hitch. Now having the two devices set up identically on the remote, including operating my sound system etc.

Both HDR's are registered with the RS Service and that too has been tested and works.

All in all, I think you can tell that I am rather pleased with myself. :)

More oddly is that it comes on again at the scheduled power-off time, does nothing (i.e. stays on) at the next power-on time, then reverts to normal behaviour at the next off time.
I didn't know that.

Thanks BH, I am aware of that problem.
I know you know you know I know you know.... you know. I added it for others who may not know (or not know you know...).

Even simple home-routers often allow you to use different ports on the "inside" and "outside" for port forwarding too btw.... i.e. you connect externally to port 64321 or something and it sends it to x.x.x.x port 443 inside - can be easier when you can't amend the internal port for a device.
Steve

I didn't know that.

I know you know you know I know you know.... you know. I added it for others who may not know (or not know you know...).

Wow this may just explain the odd behavior I've seen on mine, I do 90% of my scheduling via RS and found the box being on when it shouldn't

!

Regards

Damian

Back