Remote control issue

Denwyn

Have no idea why but the remote control has stopped working with HD Fox T2 Freeview box, it’s not the batteries, pressing 0 & OK for 5 seconds sorts it out, msg about it being on setting one comes up. I don’t think it’s the remote control, have two and same thing happens with either. It may be ok for a bit, it’s something happening randomly. Box is bog standard, not changed any settings, just a bit puzzling. Any advice appreciated.

It's still hit & miss, tried the press 0 & OK for five seconds, replaced batteries on both remotes,one remote original the other a cheap eBay one. It's working now but it's a bit random. I did think of doing a reset on the box, but there are a lot of recordings we haven't watched yet. I can't really complain about the Humax, I bought this from eBay £40. It's like new, our old one is in garage, it works fine but has a dodgy aerial connection, which I couldn't get repaired. So maybe it's time to replace with a newer Humax, that's if they're still available.

I did think of doing a reset on the box, but there are a lot of recordings we haven't watched yet.
By "reset" do you mean 'Factory Defaults"?
I'm doubtful that would fix your issue but the factory default does not delete your recordings unless you change the option to force it to do that when you initiate it. The default is not to delete your existing recordings. You would still need to set up your schedule and any favourites again, but unless you asked it to also format the HDD at the same time then you would still have your old recordings. Just make sure that you can't see a tick on the screen before you ask it to go ahead.

there are a lot of recordings we haven't watched yet.
How much space is left?

Its a 500 gb, HD, I would think about 80% is unused. Its puzzling as to why its started doing this. The older box is fine, but aerial /rf connection is iffy, it feels a bit loose, and hit and miss connections. I have been quoted £69.00 online to get it repaired, plus another £8.00 for me to post it, that's why I bought this on Ebay for £40. I'm reluctant to chuck any more money at it, I can get a new Humax 500 gb box from John Lewis for £180 with a 2 year warranty. Only use it for recording, TV does all the Smart stuff we want. Ill try a reset first though, it may do the trick. Thanks for advice

Just to confirm: you should be getting the "PVR" button lighting up every time you press a button. If not, the switch contacts are dicky (no surprise after all this time).

I did think of doing a reset on the box
No harm in trying it, just make sure you know what all the settings should be:
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/is-there-a-good-time-to-retune.7624/post-103888

...but there are a lot of recordings we haven't watched yet.
As said above, there is no need to lose recordings just by running a Restore Factory Defaults operation.

If you think there is something a bit odd (rather than broken) about the behaviour of a HDR-FOX, you could also try the custom System Flush, which is downloaded and "installed" like a firmware update (but doesn't update anything): https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads (see Supporting Files).

I will double check before I do anything, as this happens with two remotes, it makes me think it's an issue with the box.

Reset it, but still same issue. Have put the old Humax back in now,after a bit of fiddling with Ariel connection it's working fine, remotes work ok with this which means it is something with the other box. This will do for now. Thanks for advice.

Can't think of any IR interference, nothing has changed in the house/room. Not much remote technology in the house.

Can't think of any IR interference, nothing has changed in the house/room. Not much remote technology in the house.
Auto floor sweeper? Some of those use IR to communicate with the charging/base unit.

The auto floor sweeper is typing this☹️. Apart from TV the only other thing is pair of Sonos Speakers controlled by an Amazon Echo Dot. These have been in the room a long time, I can't see them making a difference. I've put the original Humax back in now, after a bit of jiggling with the Aerial/ RF connector on rear of Humax everything is working fine. I'm going to try and see if I can find someone locally to look at the Aerial / RF sockets on the box. I did take the case of a while back just in case I could see anything, the seem well fixed to the circuit board. I am reluctant to spend nearly £80 to send it away for repair,when I can get a brand new version from John Lewis for £180 with a 2 year warranty.

I am reluctant to spend nearly £80 to send it away for repair,when I can get a brand new version from John Lewis for £180 with a 2 year warranty.
£20 would get it to me and back. If it's just a loose RF socket, it should be an easy soldering job. A "brand new version" could be disappointing compared with a HDR-FOX, depending on your usage requirements.

Thanks for your very generous offer, for the present ill leave it alone as its working fine, there seems to be a good connection with the aerial / RF leads, and as long as there not moved it is fine. regarding the other box with the remote control issue, i gave it to a neighbour to try, and he has the same issue with the remote not working, its ok initially on turning it on, but randomly stops working, both remotes are ok with the box i use now, so it must be a fault with the box. Not to bothered as this one is working fine. Thanks for your offer and help

Ir you installed custom firmware withi ir package you could use a phone, tablet or pc as a remote contol (except for Power on)

has the same issue with the remote not working, its ok initially on turning it on, but randomly stops working, both remotes are ok with the box i use now, so it must be a fault with the box.
Sounds like a faulty IR receiver in the front panel assembly.

I've got the old box running ok now. I have given the alternative firmware stuff some thought, read up loads on here, it's very good but to be honest I'm happy with the way the box works, it's never really given me any problems,except for the aerial / RF socket. It's only me who uses it, the main family TV has a Panasonic PVR, but I have noticed it's not used a lot at all with all the catch-up and Netflix. I still prefer the Humax.

Sounds like a faulty IR receiver in the front panel assembly.
Yes your probably right, I've put it away for now,and I've ordered a original Humax remote control from Amazon for the Humax we are now using , the old original is not so good anymore,and a non standard one I have is awful to use. I did open the original remote up and clean it,was a very slight improvement. I did notice you say maybe a new Humax wouldn't be as good, in what way is it different, looking at the spec it looks ok, the apps and networking side doesn't interest me at all.

Back