Remote control not working

Ruthb133

Hello
Hoping that someone will be able to help.
Some year's ago I bought the PVR-9150T, over the years the remote has been lost. So I purchased a replacement humax remote from ebay. It arrived today but won't seem to work. Or the box won't recognise it. The remote I've bought is the RT-531B
Is it the right remote for my box?
Is there something I need to do, like press a configuration of buttons to get it to work?

The remote I've bought is the RT-531B
Is it the right remote for my box?
According to the Humax Direct website:
Humax Direct said:
Compatible with: PVR-9150T, PVR-9200T, and PVR-9300T
...so I don't see why not.

Is there something I need to do, like press a configuration of buttons to get it to work?
I can't see anything in the PVR-9150T manual to say there are alternative channels for the IR, so I presume not. Have you checked whether the handset is emitting anything when you press a button?
To test whether a handset is transmitting when expected (and not when not expected), view the emitter with a digital camera (eg the camera on a mobile phone). Digital cameras (not all - check with a known working remote) are sensitive to IR (Infra-Red) and the flashes will show up in the viewfinder (electronic, not optical). The iPad3 rear camera is not sensitive to IR but the front one is, so this is my favourite way to test IR handsets because it is like an IR-vision mirror.

If it's not emitting, check the batteries and then suspect you've bought a dud. If it is emitting, you'll have to decide whether the PVR isn't working or whether you've got a knock-off remote.

Last edited:
I've got a black RT-531B in the things-to-eBay box, used but no wear on the keys and minimal handling polish. Just tested it and all keys work perfectly.

[Edit] Have you got the batteries/cells in the right way round? I've done that myself.

Last edited:
I've done that myself.
Ditto. If there's a coiled spring as one of the contacts in the battery compartment, that should be the blunt end of the cell (see spoiler below), but frequently the contacts are both leaf springs so it is less obvious and you must pay close attention to the markings. Almost invariably the cells should be inserted in opposing orientations.

Cell: commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as a "battery", the term "battery" should be reserved for a bank of two or more cells. EG: a car battery comprises six 2-volt cells, and a PP3 battery internally comprises six 1.5V cells. AA and AAA "batteries" are actually just cells.

Back