Remote control not working

Izzy.A

I had to return my previous HDR-2000T after a couple of months because the remote control stopped working. The problem was initially intermittent, but became so bad I had to take it back.

Now I'm having the same problem with the new one I was given. Everything started off fine, but suddenly the remote is not working. The batteries are fine, and when I press the remote I can see the red light flashing under the pvr button so I'm not sure what the problem is. I have tried turning the box off at the mains and leaving it for a while before switching everything on again, but still no luck. I'm reduced to using the manual controls at the front of the unit and have no access to any of my recordings or the menu.

I'm seriously fed up with Humax boxes. I loved my old version (can't remember which model it was) and I had to get rid of that one because the remote stopped working. When I decided to upgrade to the HDR-2000T I never expected to have remote control problems again but now it's happened to two separate units.

Any suggestions from those who may have overcome the same problem would be appreciated.

You say that you can see the LED flashing under the PVR button, but is it actually transmitting an IR signal?

You can do a simple test to be sure if you have a digital camera.

Point the remote control at the camera and look at the camera's screen while composing a photo. Press any button on the remote control and you should see the IR signal being transmitted. It will look like an LED flashing, usually does anyway.

You don't by any chance have fluorescent lights or something like that in the vicinity do you? There are instances where these can interfere with IR signals.

Good call, HarveyB. I forgot about that. Just to add, if I may, HB? The small energy saving bulbs you can buy (not LED) are usually CFL and count as florescent too.

You say that you can see the LED flashing under the PVR button, but is it actually transmitting an IR signal?

You can do a simple test to be sure if you have a digital camera.

Point the remote control at the camera and look at the camera's screen while composing a photo. Press any button on the remote control and you should see the IR signal being transmitted. It will look like an LED flashing, usually does anyway.

Hi Wallace

Thanks for your reply. Something really weird has happened since following your instructions. I tried the remote again just to make sure it wasn't working then pointed it at my digital camera and pressing different buttons and seeing the LED flashing. Since doing that my remote has suddenly started working!!!! I've also noticed that when the remote wasn't working the PVR button didn't flash as brightly as it now does. The entire button lights up now whereas before it seemed to light up underneath, no-where near as bright, if that makes sense. I don't understand electronics at all, but could the IR signal (whatever that is!) have been reset in some way by pointing the remote at the digital camera and pressing it??

Anyway, all I know is that the remote is now working and if I have problems again I'll get my digital camera out to see if your little trick works to sort out my dodgy remote control. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Many thanks.

You don't by any chance have fluorescent lights or something like that in the vicinity do you? There are instances where these can interfere with IR signals.

Hi HarveyB

Thanks for your reply. Please see my reply to Wallace, above.

No fluorescent lights in the area but I have just thought of something else that may have caused the problem. I use the adjacent electric socket to charge my smartphone and ipad, placing both items on my cabinet immediately in front of my Humax unit, sometimes overnight. Could this have somehow interfered with the IR signals? I won't be doing that again, I'll find somewhere else to charge them instead. Just a thought ...

Not really.
... I don't understand electronics at all, but could the IR signal (whatever that is!) have been reset in some way by pointing the remote at the digital camera and pressing it??....

Sorry, IR=Infra Red

Simply pointing the remote to a camera wouldn't have reset anything.

I am glad that it is now working for you. Have you considered trying another remote control? Perhaps a universal one?

EDIT: I have just read your other reply that was posted whilst I was typing this.

Not really.

Sorry, IR=Infra Red

Simply pointing the remote to a camera wouldn't have reset anything.

I am glad that it is now working for you. Have you considered trying another remote control? Perhaps a universal one?

EDIT: I have just read your other reply that was posted whilst I was typing this.

I just don't understand why the PVR button on my remote now lights up much brighter and my remote works! It can't be a coincidence.

I would consider buying a universal remote only if I was assured the problem I have (had) is due to a faulty remote control rather than a faulty Humax unit. Would you say it's definitely the remote control that's faulty in this case or is it hard to tell?

As you have said that the PVR button lights up much brighter now AND the box IS responding to it, in all probability it does look like an issue with the remote control.

But I don't want to spend your money for you! Is there any one you could borrow another remote from perhaps?

I am sure another brighter spark than me will be along with other suggestions, but at least you have a working remote/PVR combination now.

As you have said that the PVR button lights up much brighter now AND the box IS responding to it, in all probability it does look like an issue with the remote control.

But I don't want to spend your money for you! Is there any one you could borrow another remote from perhaps?

I am sure another brighter spark than me will be along with other suggestions, but at least you have a working remote/PVR combination now.

Thanks for your help Wallace. I think I'll just be grateful that everything is working for now, stop charging electronics directly in front of my Humax and see if I have any further problems with the remote. If I do, I'll consider a universal remote.

I just don't understand why the PVR button on my remote now lights up much brighter and my remote works! It can't be a coincidence
It's isn't a coincidence. It's evidence. You've probably got a duff battery connection somewhere. If the light is dim, then it is going to give reduced range or complete non-operation.
How did you assess the condition of the batteries as "fine" in your original post?

It's isn't a coincidence. It's evidence. You've probably got a duff battery connection somewhere. If the light is dim, then it is going to give reduced range or complete non-operation.
How did you assess the condition of the batteries as "fine" in your original post?

Because the pvr button lit up every time I used the remote control I assumed the batteries were not the problem. It's only now the remote control is working again that I've noticed how much brighter the pvr button lights up every time I now use the remote control. However, the remote control only started working again immediately AFTER I followed Wallace's instructions re the digital camera. Now the remote control is working again the pvr button lights up very brightly every time I use it whereas it was just a dull light that showed up when the remote control didn't work (hence my assumption that the batteries were not at fault initially). Hope this makes sense :)

It does make sense, but sadly your assumption was wrong :). Dim or flickering PVR button means battery problem of some description.

OK, so this is embarrassing ..... I changed the remote control batteries and cleaned the connectors just in case, and everything is working fine. Such a simple solution to my problem but at least it's fixed now. So, if anyone else has a remote control problem, the first thing you should do is put in new batteries, even if you think the current ones are OK!!! A lesson learned ......

And remarkably brave of you to 'fess up' to it in public too. I think you are in the minority of people who's first call in the event of a malfunction of their boxes who's first port of call is not to power cycle the box.

So, if anyone else has a remote control problem, the first thing you should do is put in new batteries
Better still would be to buy a cheap voltmeter and check the voltage of the batteries. I find that when diagnosing problems about half the time the batteries are fine so the cost of the voltmeter is soon recovered.

Im getting this just now, dont have any spare AAA batteries, just having to keep opening and moving the batteries around, its barely 3 months old :( This morning it wouldnt switch on, since then its lit up on the remote but not changed the sound or changed the channel, had to listen to a full Gordon Brown rant while discovering I dont have any spares :)
Is there a generally recommended universal remote that people buy for this model?

Then doesn't that point to faulty/flat batteries if moving them around works for a short while? 3 months old or not, just get some new batteries, or at least, some you know to be good.

FWIW, I use a Harmony 785 remote (actually, I have two - one as a working spare).

Back