Remote controllable mains switches

With a power monitoring plug like the gosund, I think it becomes a bit easier, if you run the humax in power saving mode - if power is above 1 watt (not in standby) and it's not responding to webif/ssh, then it has crashed, and oyu can tell the plug to power cycle.

Whether there is a scenario where it crashes while in low power standby mode, I don't know. All the ones I remember have been when it's powered up, but I;'m not certain that's exhaustive.

Whether there is a scenario where it crashes while in low power standby mode, I don't know. All the ones I remember have been when it's powered up, but I;'m not certain that's exhaustive.
Once properly shut down, the processor isn't running in standby – so how can it crash? There is a condition where it doesn't shut down, I call that Delinquent Half-Awake (see Things Every... section 18).

The wake-up is initiated by the front panel assembly, by button press, IR input, or timer (presumably preset during the shutdown process). If the front panel crashed there would be no wake-up, but I don't recall that ever being reported – if the front panel goes faulty it has proved terminal so far.

OK so the easiest full solution with least bugs/loopholes would probably be to monitor power on a suitable smart energy monitoring plug and toggle that plug when high energy and ssh is either denied or shows that a key procerss has halted.

I think the nightly power cycle is the easiest and most pragmatic comporomise, but it is not a "full" solution. Most of my lost recordings are early evening recordings missed after an afternoon crash.

But the nightly power cycle would certainly very easily cure the uttter carnage resulting from a crash while on holiday.

You need a RAID-1 of PVRs (a RAIPVR-1 I guess!). I got a DVB TV Hat for the Pi for £7. It never crashes. If the power goes out, it always reboots.

I take it it doesn't do DVB-T2?
It does. Wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
I've got it attached to a Pi-3B+, just using the internal card currently and with TV Headend (an odd thing which takes some getting used to IMHO), although I really wanted to play with more direct control. But this is OT for this thread (mods. maybe move it to the Home-Brew section).

I've posted about this before a couple of years ago ( https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/deep-ping-for-hummy.9309/#post-132580 ), but I'll mention it again as it's relevant.

I built a system to power-cycle my hummys precisely for prpr's reason - crashes while I was on holiday causing mayhem. The system uses a smart power strip, but absolutely no smartphones required! In order to wrest control of the smart plug from the likes of Alexa and her ilk, I had to flash new firmware onto it, which was reasonably straightforward. The smart power strip can switch its 4 sockets independently, and is controlled by 'publishing' an mqtt message on my local network.

I have a RPi on the network that runs a cron task that pings the hummys every hour. If any of them don't respond, the RPi publishes an mqtt message, and the offending machine is power-cycled.

In addition, as a belt-and-braces sort of thing, each hummy is scheduled to go into standby for 10 minutes in the middle of the night, and the RPi runs an additional cron task to power-cycle down exactly during the middle of the standby period.

My system has now been working for over 2 years, I've had no problems with it, and missed holiday recordings are a thing of the past.

Sadly all the Tuya/Tasmota/ESP8266 type devices for the UK market seem to be unavailable now.
(After googling for a while...) I see what you mean - I had no idea there was such a war on between Tuya and the Tasmota people. I still don't understand why Tuya are so opposed to their products being useful to home automation hobbyists.
As are holidays.
Too true.

Back