Remote for Grandma

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Seen on twitter this morning..

BrmpSiZIYAEDwpi.jpg:large

Ref: https://twitter.com/Mr_Mike_Clarke/status/484604575157342209

There's a technology agony column in the Saturday Telegraph, and a few weeks ago somebody was complaining they have to keep providing telephone support to somebody clearly in the early stages of dementia. There was all sorts of suggestions about how to "make things easier", but not one mention of getting a modern TV (no extra box for DVB-T) or getting a simple 5-button One4All (on/off, programme up/down, volume up/down).

That paper idea won't work - there's nothing stopping buttons being pressed through the paper when Grandma grips the handset.

We faced this with my mum-in-law. With a modern TV and its own remote, she would press random buttons and get the TV into an unusable state.

The simple remote was the solution, as BH said. I am surprised he needs one already though! :p

The directive to Press [Red Button] at the top right of the BBC screens still caused problems with my mum, though. She didn't even have Alzheimer's. With my mum-in-law, the message didn't even register.

I'm sure it was just a slip, but be aware there are many causes of dementia - it is not synonymous with Alzheimer's Disease.

This whole subject is one of bitter personal experience. To make Radio 4 available I used a DAB radio and physically disabled unused buttons (with a removable plastic shield moulded to the contours of the radio). Pilot lights on all equipment had to be disabled (some devices have a menu setting) or obscured with black tape. The kitchen TV pilot light was a problem - covering it also disables the remote control (but it didn't matter if the TV got unplugged). To prevent the freezer being accidentally turned off I made a false facia that fits over the wall socket with holes to access the plug points, but which covers the switch - plastic from a 2l ice cream tub plus a little heat works wonders.

We bought my mother-in-law a new DVB TV and a simple big-button Sony remote. Mostly she's okay but still occasionally manages to get it onto analogue and I haven't found a way to disable that yet.

AF123, I Had this problem with my father a couple of years ago. It was a Sony TV. I found that if you deleted each of the analogue channels it no longer "switches" to analogue.
Could be worth a try in your case ...

I'm sure it was just a slip, but be aware there are many causes of dementia - it is not synonymous with Alzheimer's Disease.

Mum-in-law was diagnosed with Alzheimer. There is a reluctance to use dementia today because of the former association with madness and being demented.

We had one incident where m-i-l put coffee in the kettle to make herself a drink.

I found that if you deleted each of the analogue channels it no longer "switches" to analogue.

Or do a digital only tune. It doesn't stop them from switching to an hdmi or other input, though.

There is a reluctance to use dementia today because of the former association with madness and being demented.
Not in my experience. You can't use Alzheimer's as a euphemism for it, because that is only one particular disease process with a particular set of characteristic symptoms and a therapeutic regime which would not be appropriate in other forms of dementia. The medical term for this class of diseases is dementia, and I am not aware of any other term which would cover it.

If one has only had close contact with the Alzheimer's form of dementia, it is an understandable mistake.

That's all very well, and we lived with it for at least that number of years. I know that Alzheimer's and Dementia are not the same. Why do you always take a superior line with everything, as though nobody else has your knowledge, intelligence and experience? Jeez!

Edit: In view of the following comments, I should point out that I was saying that my mum has not yet developed senile dementia or Alzheimer's disease, and that many older people don't like the word dementia because of its association with demented.

For Christ sake get off your high horse. You made a statement in post 7 which is blatantly not true, and you could have the tact to realise that this may well be a very sensitive subject to some people, particularly me, having been 24 hour carer for my partner at home, and now permanently commuting between here and the care home. I generally avoid speaking of this, but you have twisted my arm.

Yes, I do have knowledge and experience (in this case a long engagement with the medical profession and social services, and now care home staff and a good variety of dementia cases), and on subjects that I do not I don't comment. Others should do likewise, and it seems to me you are behaving in the way that I am being accused of.

AF123, I Had this problem with my father a couple of years ago. It was a Sony TV. I found that if you deleted each of the analogue channels it no longer "switches" to analogue.
Could be worth a try in your case ...
Thanks, I'll give it a shot next time I'm visiting. It's a Samsung but it may be possible to do the same. Why these modern TVs which were sold almost at the point of switchover didn't have a wizard option for 'just DVB thanks very much' I don't know!

Thanks, I'll give it a shot next time I'm visiting. It's a Samsung but it may be possible to do the same. Why these modern TVs which were sold almost at the point of switchover didn't have a wizard option for 'just DVB thanks very much' I don't know!

If it's a Samsung it almost certainly has the ability to only tune digital.

Yes but a digital tune only does not get rid of the defunct analogue channels on my Samsung. If I press 1 it correctly goes to BBC1. If I press 1 again, it switches to analogue CH1. I have spent best part of an hour now on my set and Google, but apparently there is no fix. It's really annoying when you think you are on CH2 (and are really on CH1) and then you press 1 and get a screen full of snow.:(

Ah, thanks Trev. That's probably what she's doing, selecting the same channel twice in succession.

Yes but a digital tune only does not get rid of the defunct analogue channels on my Samsung. I

That must be different to my two Sammies then. I don't see how pressing 1 twice could switch you from digital to analogue, though.

Then back again with another press of 1. That's what it does by design. What a crock of s***. There's quite a bit about the problem on 't web.

Link? loads of them. Google for Samsung analogue tuner. Here's one. Yes it does if you press 1 then 1 quickly. Be on DCH 2, Press 1, after the time delay for the second press, TV changes to DCH1. Now press 1 again and it changes to CH analogue, wait for the 'time out' again and press 1 and it changes to CH1 DTV. Absolutely stupid, as if you are on CH 1 and press 1, it changes to analogue CH1. There is no separate D/A button, and also nothing in the H/B that tells you this, so when you accidentally switch to analogue, it's a bugger's muddle trying to find out how to switch back to digital (unless you know how).

Back