Remote re-tuning

makem

I know it is like asking the poor Hummy to act like a computer, but is it ever likely that it will be possible to re-tune the channels whilst remote?

This sounds like an excellent idea but not sure how it well it would work in practice (if at all possible). I would like to have this feature to check if maintenance on our aerial has been completed during the day. Gives me a chance to then at least ring the property management company and complain if the work still has not been completed. Although of course, cannot judge how good the reception is on the TV screen without being there!

The web-if does provide some diagnostic info regarding available muxes and strengths etc Scroll this page to the bottom but that is only if you can connect directly to the box from somewhere else (but this has been done with dynamic DNS and port forwarding wizardry Here (Click) .

The other option might be to see if the web-if could pass the diagnostic info out to the Remote Scheduling Portal? Although I couldn't say if that would be a popular requirement (how many times does your aerial need attention??) worthy of a high place on the To-Do list?

The web-if does provide some diagnostic info regarding available muxes and strengths etc Scroll this page to the bottom but that is only if you can connect directly to the box from somewhere else (but this has been done with dynamic DNS and port forwarding wizardry Here (Click) .

The other option might be to see if the web-if could pass the diagnostic info out to the Remote Scheduling Portal? Although I couldn't say if that would be a popular requirement (how many times does your aerial need attention??) worthy of a high place on the To-Do list?

No, it is not worthy of a high place on the To-Do-List. However it would be helpful if view of the changes due in the next few months.

As for aerial checking, I think that is a one off which could be checked within hours of the work being done?

Iv'e just noticed a DSO in the schedule for 4th April. That will put paid to my remote recording until May :(

The mast installer tells me he will be going round pointing all the masts to Anglia rather than London.

Still I do get to make a few checks from far and wide :)

Good question, OP. Our DSO is the 21st March and I know it'll be a pain in the arse asking my mum to retune her box - I'd rather I just be able to do it via web interface lol...

On a similar note would anyone know how to reboot the box via webif?

It's a bit messy, but if you go into the EPG and schedule a dummy recording you will be offered a reboot.

I did request a restart button (with appropriate warnings of course) on the diagnostics page, but AF hasn't got around to it. I'm guessing, but I think if you were to type "reboot" in the diagnostics command box, that would do it (I'm not going to test it right now - I have a big file transfer going on).

Beware there is a risk the box doesn't always boot up again after this, so best reserved for when manual intervention is available. It also won't be going through its normal shut-down procedures, so if it does get stuck in standby there's a fair chance its wake-up timer hasn't been set up properly and it will miss its next recording event if you don't do something about it.

Back