Remote recording over 3G

zepp

I bought the HD-FOX 2 Freeview box a few weeks ago and I've installed the custom firmware . I installed the web interface to enable me to do remote recording. After installing the web interface and putting the humax ip address into the address bar.This worked fine over my WiFi but when at work using 3G I could not access the remote recording page.Should this work over 3G and Is it ok to store it in my IE favourites or desktop of PC or on my iPhone.Can anyone give me anything I should have done

I suspect that you need to enable port forwarding in your router. IIRC it's port 8080. I would enable some form of password protection on the device though, obviously that port will be open from the Internet.
I have done this and it has come in handy once or twice. But the box needs to be on of course.

EDIT:

As BH says in the next post, you might be better registering for the Remote Scheduling service, it offer great funtionallity. However, it is not instant.

Try registering with the Remote Scheduling service (click) - that's what it's for. You will need to install the rs package. RS is less good if you want to set something up to record imminently, but it can also do persistent auto searches and automatically set recordings (or alert you to set recordings) when anything appears in the EPG which matches your criteria (a week in advance).

If you want to persevere with direct remote access, note that your home network is a separate entity from the Internet (3G accesses the Internet, not your home network). Your router provides a link from your home network to the Internet via your ISP, but it is essentially one-way, in that you can make requests from the home network which the router recognises as being for the outside world and forwards them on, and then the outside world replies. External access (where a request is sent in and a response sent back) is not normally enabled, and would be a security risk if not properly managed. As Wallace says above, this is where port forwarding on your router comes in - it needs to be told to make external access available.

The next problem is that your router's IP address is the only address recognised on the wider Internet (your home address, if you like), and this has nothing to do with the addresses on your home network (which are probably 192.168.x.x - imagine if everyone's home networks were exposed on the Internet!). It also changes from time to time, as you do not get a fixed IP address unless you pay your ISP for that service. The way around this is to set up a Dynamic DNS service (there is a custom package for it) so that a web service connects a URL to the target address even if the target address changes. Look up Dynamic DNS.

There is some existing discussion on the forum, see HERE (click). I suspect, however, you will find RS is a better match to your needs and abilities.

This topic should be in the customised firmware section.

Back