REMOTE RECORDING/SCHEDULING (LIVE TV APP or myHUMAX WEBSITE) & DLNA only in SD via WMP or VLC pnp?

stephan

Hello

To summarise this thread, it is about HUMAX FVP 4000T/5000T: LIVE TV APP / MY HUMAX WEBSITE for REMOTE RECORD, and NETWORK SHARE (DLNA) feature to view SD RECORDINGS, as not possible in streamed HD recordings.

In brief I've resolved the majority of how to (Detailed below), just a few questions:
Questions:
A.
Live TV, watch Recordings & Delete Scheduled Programs doesn't work?! Neither via the App/Website, but Remote Recording via TV Guide works ok....
Is this the same issue for all FVP 4000T/5000T owners, or is there another workaround?!
Or perhaps there is a minimum Mbps requirement? As just testing via tethered hotspot on my 4G Mobile Android!
Or more likely an obsolete product that isn't supported anymore?
B. DLNA: Settings, Advanced, SERVER ON. But no playable HD Recordings?!....
TV: (Samsung MU6120 Smart TV), can preview via AV all of my Humax recordings, both SD & HD. However only SD file will play.
Is this prevented by encrypted HD? Hence is there an option or work around?
LAPTOP: (WIN10)
WMP can preview via WINDOWS EXPLORER > NETWORK > FVP-4000T DMS, view all of my Humax recordings, both SD & HD. However only SD file will play.
VLC can preview & PLAY only SD Humax recordings, but then easier to select playable files!
Is this prevented by encrypted HD? Hence is there an option or work around? Perhaps Codec?

THE PRELUDE STORY:

As owner of many Humax Recorders over lots of years, on finally purchasing FVP 4000T 1TB, I reached for my Mobile to download the much heralded APP immeadidately, for feasible urgency comfort of Remote Recording etc, only for Mobile Android to greet me on Google Play with message stating "App was intended for older version of Android", and that it would not work correctly, hence was not available for install.... Hence did a few Google searches only to find many rants from other FVP owners moaning feature doesn't work.... Anyway I did find a v quick workaround, the myHUMAX WEBSITE!, and APP APK DOWNLOADER!

Remote TV Scheduling is a nice touch in a modern world of Unlimited Data with Fast Speeds on your Mobile and/or at a Home... But not all fully featured as hoped:

Here is my quick guide to setup REMOTE RECORD FEATURES via WEB/APP:

REMOTE RECORDING setup: (Settings > Advanced Settings > Remote Recording > ON). Internal Period I set to 10minutes, as you want to check/update regular when setting up.

Register FVP: (Settings > Advanced Settings > Recorder Registration) You need this to setup Account to link in your FVP data
https://www.myhumax.net

Website Scheduling: (Once registered, goto top menu TV GUIDE, then select PROGRAM guide, scroll DATE/TIME/CHANNEL, select available to record PROGRAM (Blue Hi Light) , pop up appears, select RECORD THIS PROGRAM. Also best accessed with Mobile then Laptop, and POSSIBLY to finish new record selections goto MY SCHEDULE (If available!).
https://www.myhumax.net/TVGuide/MySchedule

App APK Download for Install on newer Android, prompts for which Humax App, then generates APK download link, click to download file, when finished goto to downloads & open file, ok to install from other source, once installed HUMAX LIVE TV APP enter your registered Humax ACCOUNT email/password via SETTINGS > MY PROFILE, then select REGISTERED DEVICE to select your local FVP. Once done, goto either SCHEDULES, TV GUIDE, LIVE TV, RECORDINGS. NOTE: Only feature that works for me with this APP is TV GUIDE & SCHEDULES, hence NOT live tv or recordings.
www.apkonline.net/download-android-apks/com-humaxdigital-mobile-livetvphone

DNLA: (Settings > Advanced Settings > SERVER Management > ON) You need this for your TV and/or LAPTOP to see your recordings, and clearly your LAPTOP needs to be connected to network, I just tethered mobile > laptop.
VLC (SD recordings only): SETUP: View > PLAYLIST > LOCAL NETWORK >UNIVERSAL PLUG N PLAY. PLAY: LOCAL NETWORK >UNIVERSAL PLUG N PLAY > FVP > CONTENT > RECORDINGS: Select File to STREAM/PLAY.
WMP (Windows Media Player): WINDOWS EXPLORER > NETWORK > FVP-4000T DMS: WMP opens > FVP-4000T DMS > VIDEOS: select VIDEO to PLAY (Both SD & HD are previewed but only SD FILES PLAY!)

So to summarise how to:

Register FVP:
https://www.myhumax.net

https://www.myhumax.net/TVGuide/MySchedule

App APK Download for newer Android:
www.apkonline.net/download-android-apks/com-humaxdigital-mobile-livetvphone

Last edited:
As owner of many Humax Recorders over lots of years
Presumably not including HiDef-capable Humax recorders, otherwise you would know Humax implement copy protection on HiDef content as a condition of their licence to use the Freeview logo plus legitimate access to the EPG.

A.[/B] Live TV, watch Recordings & Delete Scheduled Programs doesn't work?! Neither via the App/Website, but Remote Recording via TV Guide works ok....
Or more likely an obsolete product that isn't supported anymore?
I suspect your obsolete product suggestion is the most likely answer.

B. DLNA: Settings, Advanced, SERVER ON. But no playable HD Recordings?!....
TV: (Samsung MU6120 Smart TV), can preview via AV all of my Humax recordings, both SD & HD. However only SD file will play.
Is this prevented by encrypted HD? Hence is there an option or work around?
It is protected by the HDCP protocol; does the Samsung support the same or higher version of HDCP as the FVP?
My recollection is that another FVP will play the HD content.

LAPTOP: (WIN10)
WMP can preview via WINDOWS EXPLORER > NETWORK > FVP-4000T DMS, view all of my Humax recordings, both SD & HD. However only SD file will play.
VLC can preview & PLAY only SD Humax recordings, but then easier to select playable files!
Is this prevented by encrypted HD?
It is the HDCP protocol in play again. One user has suggested that playing HD to a Firestick will work but I am not sure whether that observation has been verified by others.

Presumably not including HiDef-capable Humax recorders, otherwise you would know Humax implement copy protection on HiDef content as a condition of their licence to use the Freeview logo plus legitimate access to the EPG.
Hello. Things change! And rarely do I read manuals or packaging, to me it's still an old school recorder then many ppl couldn't careless about since SMART TVS and ON DEMAND CONTENT became de-rigueur (Popular/Common Place...), but since same content can be in SD or HD, did wonder! And I like to have recordings on tap already, instead of dwelling & contemplating through on demand Genre suggestions...
But your comment definatively states (Sounds like a very small print term only read by euro/usa compliant interested persons).... DLNA is just SD, just so many threads on it.... But since it's a bold statement, then it saves me countless wasted hours of downloading/installing/uninstalling various different DLNA Servers and VIDEO PLAYERS etc...

So the only real question here is..... does LIVE TV / RECORDINGS still work via the APP for other FVP owners? As lots & lots of rants of humax forums suggest not!

But since AURA supersedes, perhaps FVP is just an older obsolete model to the Manufacturer and not supported anymore, hence presume this is the real reason why APP is not applicable via Google Play, but for those who know the APK DOWNLOAD WORK AROUND, there are some features offline or inconsistently available?

I suspect your obsolete product suggestion is the most likely answer.

It is protected by the HDCP protocol; does the Samsung support the same or higher version of HDCP as the FVP?
My recollection is that another FVP will play the HD content.

It is the HDCP protocol in play again. One user has suggested that playing HD to a Firestick will work but I am not sure whether that observation has been verified by others.
Hello

As presumed some APP FEATURES don't work (LIVE TV/RECORDINGS), most likely due to newer model AURA making the FVP obsolete, the unspoken reason, but the mostly likely.

I asked Humax Customer Services today about the APP, they suggested it is not likely to be updated, and the only vague advise they could suggest is the APK DOWNLOAD, which turned out to be a great workaround for the 1st obstacle preventing setup, and in general I'd say the APP/WEBSITE for the purposes of REMOTE RECORD, works ok, but yes I imagine to many the advertised prospect of watching live tv and/or your recordings via laptop/mobile, will be disappointed! So guess the Aura can do this, and possibly more? But since HD content is barred for DLNA, then so will be 4K, guess any1 really wanting files then NETFLIX OFFINE DOWNLOADS is the way forward then? But in this digital age, guess the reality is smart tvs around the same logged into same account, hence watched owned files, or browse on demand series, guess streaming will have less significance as ppl get less reluctant of digital media only, and less reliant on old school recorders?? Guess we'll see.... But as sum1 without... Permanent Fast Broadband at home, the FVP is a good alternative...

Since DLNA has same characteristics of just SD content via TV and/or LAPTOP (WMP / VLC), then can summise that unless streaming to another FVP then it just SD.

That good to know as features I'd v rarely use, but inTodays age, where Internet data is UNLIMITED and SPEED is even plausible for tethered 4G mobile to stream SD content via DLNA or on Demand, worth knowing ain't it!

Cheers

You can watch Live TV, including HD content, and SD and HD recordings via the H3 Smart Media Player.

But since HD content is barred for DLNA
It's not literally barred, but will refuse to serve to any unit not certified as secure. The Aura is less restrictive, but downscales HiDef to StDef (or worse) in the process.

And rarely do I read manuals or packaging, to me it's still an old school recorder
That is one reason you are in the dark, there's no point shouting about your ignorance.

You can watch Live TV, including HD content, and SD and HD recordings via the H3 Smart Media Player.
Hello

Intriguing as that H3 is: https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/h3/

With the prices of FVPs 4000T/5000T on ebay, is "H3" any better then a 2nd FVP 4000T/5000T in the house? Presumably both FVPs can stream/share HD content?
ie
Any real world experiences of streaming HD between 2 Human FVPs? Or between FVP & H3?

Presumably most ppl have PERMANENT FAST BROADBAND, and this Intriguing product "H3" will rely on having an existing "Internet" wired/wifi network.
It's not literally barred, but will refuse to serve to any unit not certified as secure. The Aura is less restrictive, but downscales HiDef to StDef (or worse) in the process.

That is one reason you are in the dark, there's no point shouting about your ignorance.
Right.... Server DLNA HD is prevented/prohibited, it all means the same thing, just not well stipulated by Humax, in pg28 of their manual there is nothing to state this, anywhere, yes I looked.
In the Dark.... If you can't watch program/film in HD/4K, SD... it ain't worth watching! So DLNA not so good is it...

& Lets be honest here, my thread is genuine and constructive, not a useless rant lacking purpose or use, and to most persons as user experiences generally require no prerequisites, most will expect a plug in, turn on & configure setup environment, few ppl will be interested in anything other then entering their wifi password & what to record.

tbh most persons who can't get sumt to work, it wouldn't even occur to them to look at manual or register/poist a thread at a forum, they will just pop it back in the packaging & return for refund, amazon/ebay are full of refurbished units.

But your comment definatively states (Sounds like a very small print term only read by euro/usa compliant interested persons).... DLNA is just SD, just so many threads on it.
It definitely isn't just SD but it does require the client to support an appropriate version of the HDCP protocol.

It definitely isn't just SD but it does require the client to support an appropriate version of the HDCP protocol.
Appreciate that, but the majority of the time at least from my perspective, think can speculate the TV and/or LAPTOP PROGRAM will only play in SD, so without a definitive list of TVs that do.... Which I doubt there is, maybe u can setup a poll from ppl on your Forum to find out those TVs that do work on HD DNLA :sneaky:

I'd say quality TVs mostly come from Samsung, Sony & LG, and seen various posts from Sony & Samsung owners that say theirs do not play dnla in HD, and after a google from LG, gd chance theirs may not either (play HD via DLNA), I guess DRM protect is something similar to HD encrypted? Or some sort of equivalent?:
https://eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/gb/12005_1.html
  • The file format and server conditions. Even file formats supported by your Smart TV may encounter issues due to the DLNA server conditions.
  • The information received from the DLNA server. Server errors may cause this information to be displayed incorrectly.
  • The DRM on the file. The DLNA server cannot play files with DRM protection.

And other alternative for streaming is a H3 or 2nd FVP, which isn't what I was intending, ie 1 main FVP, whose HD recordings cud be viewed elsewhere, in the house...
But to do that guess I'd go for a 2nd FVP as can get gd used1 for same money as refurbed H3 direct from HUMAX!

Don't get an H3; they never worked properly. Interesting article on HDCP at https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/
Hi don't think I'd get either at the moment if 1st FVP can't STREAM HD to quality Smart TV and/or modern Laptop Win10, just due to Digital Rights fiasco!

That article goes on alot about authentic compliant appliances? My only real world comparative experiences with this was LCD TVs with USB ports and whether the media they were compatible with included Mp4 H264.

DLNA from my perspective is having directly playable Video to home networked device from what would have been unrecognised file extension (TS video).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

But anyway if choosing, then not get a H3, when you can get a FVP 4000T / 5000T 1TB, for similar money.

So if can conclude FVP 4000T / 5000T, Remote features don't really work anymore, or at least not consistently, but having the opportunity to see what I'm missing, nothing really, do it @ Home if can't when not @ Home..

Then the only real questions if owners really wanted the "REMOTE" Features & Hi-DEF VIDEO (1080 or 4K) ONLY...

AURA (3 Tuner not 4Tuner like the FVP):
https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/aura-uhd-android-tv-recorder/

1. Do its REMOTE FEATURES REALLY work?
Or not really, another case of descriptions, being idle hype amounting to nothing but outer packaging lies?
"Humax Aura app:
Watch your recordings around the house or on the go.
Download the Aura app* to a compatible smart device and stream Live TV or recordings around the house.
Set reminders, schedules and recordings through the Humax Aura App, or download recordings straight to your device to take on the go."

This was as promised for the FVP and didn't really, well not now, if it ever did on release, presumably, but I don't know didn't buy new bought used recently.

2. 4K Recorder or just 4K On Demand?
Presumably this is a half truth as I have BT 4K DTR4000 and if same style, guess in the real world "4K" depends solely on few On Demand content that are without option to Record or even Download in 4K, at least with some exception, ie Netflix with right package?
Guess limited to such as:
BT Sports 4K (yawn)
Netflix
Amazon Prime

3. APPS
Are these really not fixed on AURA?
In other words APP choice/selection MADE by Owners, not pre Determined by Humax?
In other words... Apparently whatever is available on Google Play, hence not just small selection, already decided for you, which on resume maybe already obsolete or unusable, such as ITVx for FVP.

So the AURA, really these features consistently reliable, or not really?
ie just on 1st use, then never again, or countless hours configuring only to need to full factory reset to loose all your settings again...

What I've found with alledged time saving lsd Apps/Devices:
  • generally initially annoyingly need organising
  • then once done organising, then a load nonsense, as if getting all organised was just prelude to more annoyance, as if not knowing or knowing didn't matter either way..

So does AURA do as described for all owners... I wonder...

If not (no remote record etc, and/or option to record 4K) then no point to "Upgrade" over FVP as a nice 4K Smart TV you WATCH 4K Films via Netflix or Amazon Prime... That's my point..... Yer...

Last edited:
A 5000T has 3 tuners as does an Aura.
Anyway FVP
https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/fvp-4000t/
It can record 4 Programs at same time:
"3 x Digital Tuners
With 3 tuners record up to 4 programmes simultaneously whilst watching a 5th*"

I think to summarise I'd say is there no point in upgrading to 4K AURA from FVP?
Especially if already got decent fast unlimited broadband already @Home with 4K Smart TV with Apps such as Netflix & Amazon Prime... Coz presumably surely AURA can't record on demand 4K as no option right?

AURA (3 Tuner not 4Tuner like the FVP):
The FVP-5000T and the Aura both have three tuners. With the Aura you can simultaneously record four channels and (subject to some restrictions) watch a fifth live.
1. Do its REMOTE FEATURES REALLY work?
Or not really, another case of descriptions, being idle hype amounting to nothing but outer packaging lies?
There have been recent new releases of the Aura app for both Android and MacOS and I think most people are reasonably satisfied it is doing what was promised.
2. 4K Recorder or just 4K On Demand?
Presumably this is a half truth as I have BT 4K DTR4000 and if same style, guess in the real world "4K" depends solely on few On Demand content that are without option to Record or even Download in 4K, at least with some exception, ie Netflix with right package?
It is hardly the fault of Humax that there is no broadcast 4K content yet. It does handle 4K streamed content.
3. APPS
Are these really not fixed on AURA?
In other words APP choice/selection MADE by Owners, not pre Determined by Humax?
You can certainly choose from a reasonably wide choice of apps. I have my suspicions that users that have a large number of apps installed have more problems than those who don't.
So the AURA, really these features consistently reliable, or not really?
So does AURA do as described for all owners... I wonder...
My view of the Aura is that it is not a fully debugged box. It works well enough for my purposes but it can be irritating at times.
If not (no remote record etc, and/or option to record 4K)
There is remote record on the Aura.

So in brief if you already Broadband, 4K Smart TV & FVP, no point in upgrading to AURA.

Unless you want/need/have some sort of urgency/importance to Remote Record & Remote Watch Live TV/Recordings.
Hence imagine this really why FVP App not been updated

Guess what really mean by importance / urgency, will really depend on have many ppl have pointless office/desk based career/profession, looking for sumt to do in works time, like scheduling recordings & watching films on their Mobile, or Laptop!

https://appsonwindows.com/apk/10123972/

Appreciate an AURA owners perspective.

Know some ppl will value Remote Recording
Especially after numerous ppl saying something to the effect of...
"Did you see that"...
"You watching... Later Tnite then"...
"Good Game.... Iconic... Epic..." etc etc etc

Realising they are, and have already missed some enjoyment they wanted to "Catch" up with later..
And if they had more time on their hands with sumt like remote recording they would have eventually noticed sumt in their own interest, instead of adhoc occasions at home flicking through guide, as let's be honest does anybody these days actually buy magazines, in this day & age...

Anyway for me, myself & I to record HD only films at weekend, can just use the Freeview App to short list (Android Screenshot, for later "Referral" obviously...) those to schedule when @ Home. That'll do me.

Back