Remote Retune? How?

TonyN

I do a lot of travelling and would like to know if it's possible to do a retune remotely via either webif or a ssh connection?

Thanks

Tony

I think you could do it using Web-If. If you created a macro using the Web-If>remote control function, recording all the button presses required to start an automatic scan, you could run this using Web-If (with the box already on of course), leave it for however long it takes for the scan to complete and then send an 'OK' command to save the tuning. This could go wrong though, if a command is not registered or the box is on the wrong screen when you start the macro.

Pardon me for asking, but I fail to see how a remote retune would be an advantage to you whilst you were away from home. Why would you want to do that? Or is this just a 'can it be done but I have no intention of actually doing it' type question?:)

Sometimes I'm away for extended periods and my other half is not technical at all, thus I'd want to do it in case any channel changes happen.

Can I ask did you ask to now provide an answer or just to see if I was asking pointless questions?

Yes of course you may ask. My first two sentences were genuine questions, as I could not see the point. But now you have explained it, I see it all. Thank you.

The easiest way to do it is to send instructions down the phone while the other half pushes the buttons and reports what happens. The other way is to use the WebIF via a WAN connection, but you still need someone to watch the screen and report what happens.

In general though, it's unlikely you would need to retune. Some services change LCN, but they still work on the old LCN if you don't retune. Additional services come along, but does that matter?

Excepting we have two houses and they are on different transmitters, my wife wants to take the box location to location and talking her through a retune is not an option (she REALLY hates technology).

So back to the original question is there an existing script or method to force a retune instigated via either the inbuilt web server or via ssh?

Almost impossible, I would say, because there are no direct injections for specific entries in the menu system, you have to use relative navigation (up, down, enter) and that depends what entry the menu system thinks you used last.

The easiest thing to teach SWMBO for moving location is to run the initial installation wizard Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default.

Excepting we have two houses and they are on different transmitters, my wife wants to take the box location to location and talking her through a retune is not an option (she REALLY hates technology).

So back to the original question is there an existing script or method to force a retune instigated via either the inbuilt web server or via ssh?

Maybe an excuse to by another HDR before there all gone. Lol

I did, and came up with the same solution.
There is obviously something wrong with that idea.

Just write a list of steps to do a scan and stick it to the back of the remote.
Far easier than trying to solve it remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect tonyn's other half wants to watch what she has recorded on the HDR, regardless of which location it was originally recorded at.
EDIT: a portable HDD and a second HDR might be an option. But copying could be classed as technical!

I suspect tonyn's other half wants to watch what she has recorded on the HDR, regardless of which location it was originally recorded at.
EDIT: a portable HDD and a second HDR might be an option. But copying could be classed as technical!

And the winner is..........

Harvey thought it through

I don't get it.. You want to retune to watch recorded content?

Regardless, it's going to be much easier to actually write down the simple retune steps.
It's not rocket science is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is possible to access Web-If on a HDR-Fox in a remote location. I appreciate that there are security implications but it is possible: you just need to know how to set it up.
Then, if you had two HDR-Foxes set up in different locations, you could leave a USB hard drive plugged into one of them and remotely copy programmes from the internal hard drive to the USB drive. This drive could just be unplugged and taken to the other house for viewing there. You'd also have to have auto-unprotect/ auto-decrypt set up but this is straightforward.
Currently the remote scheduler package allows a user to view the programmes stored on the internal hard drive of a remote machine, and it allows deletions to be scheduled. I presume that it is possible to expand the functionality to allow remote file copying to an attached USB drive?

If retuning is considered technical, I hate to think what Monty's proposal would come under.

By the way Esra, I suspect that the requirement is to be able to record new stuff in both locations (as well as to view recorded stuff), so retuning would be required.

EDIT: I still think that it will be easier to bite the bullet and leave clear concise retune instructions with the box, as Chris... stated.

@HarveyB. I certainly class remotely accessing Web-If as technical, at least the initial set up of it: I've not attempted it myself. My thought was that if the OP set up two HDR-Foxes as I described, he could remotely copy the programmes to the USB drive and all his partner has to do is disconnect the drive, take it to the other house and connect it the other machine there. Simpler, for her, than moving a HDR-Fox from place to place.

Back